5 Reasons Why You Should Relay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Next weekend on April 14th is Providence College’s annual Relay for Life  event. In case you have never heard of it, Relay for Life is an incredible event that is put on by the Colleges Against Cancer club that raises money in support of the American Cancer Society. The American Cancer Society is an organization that dedicates its resources to providing vital cancer research in search of a cure. Next Saturday is sure to be a great time and in case you aren’t already convinced, here is why you should go…

1. Campus Club Performances

About every hour a different clubs on campus, such as Dance Club, will be performing throughout the day. Come support your friends while also supporting people who are affected by cancer!

2. Good Food

In case @pcgolfparty didn’t already break it to you, Ray is not a reliable source of nutrition. Don’t forget to bring cash! This is a fundraiser, the money that you spend on food will go towards a good cause. 

3. It’s Outside This Year!

In previous years, Relay has been inside and at night, which does protect from the rain but is not as much fun. In between your laps, you can sun bathe, play lawn games, and enjoy the sun! Being outdoors creates endless possibilities for fun :) And because its during the day, you can still go out later. 

4. It’s an opportunity to hang with friends

Get together your group of friends and create a team. If you do this event with all of your friends it’s going to be a blast! 

5. It’s for a good cause… DUH

This event is in support of cancer research. Everyone knows someone who has been affected by this horrible disease. By going to this event and raising money, you’re creating a possibility for more birthdays!

Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.