17 Seasons Later and Grey’s Anatomy is Still Killing It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

*WARNING: GREY’S ANATOMY SEASON 17 SPOILERS*

Grey’s Anatomy has graced our television screens since 2005 and is still going strong with its newest episode released on ABC March 11th. This season brings our reality of the Covid-19 pandemic into Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. While many have criticized having to face this pandemic both in real life and now on TV, the Grey’s Anatomy cast does not disappoint fans this season.

One of the most important things this show brings to viewers is the impact that Covid-19 has on our community and healthcare workers. Both doctors and nurses are struggling with lack of PPE supplies, countless deaths, and the mental strain that this pandemic introduced. We are also brought to the attention of the way the healthcare system and the pandemic are affecting minorities like the Black and Asian community. When a patient refuses to speak with a Chinese doctor, an intern is quick to defend his coworkers. Grey’s Anatomy is not new to addressing these types of issues. They’ve looked at issues including; police brutality, sexual assault/rape, domestic violence, adoption, neo-Nazis, immigration, and countless other issues of our society in the span of 16 years on air.

Season 17 even brings to the table a great reminiscence for original fans: Dr. Derek Shepherd and Dr. George O’Malley! With Meredith Grey on a vent suffering from Covid-19, we see her periodically on a warm, scenic beach, where she talks with the love of her life and one of her closest friends, who both died in previous seasons of the show. Her presence on this beach is a clear indication that Meredith may not survive this pandemic. Yet, many Grey’s fans (myself included) were on the edge of their seats after seeing the roles of ‘McDreamy’ and ‘007’ reprised during this season.

However, in typical Grey’s fashion, we are met with shock in March 11th’s episode, where our beloved Dr. Andrew Deluca meets Meredith on the beach while other doctors call his time of death in the OR. Even though we’re all grieving the loss of another fan favorite, I can’t help but look back at his amazing character from intern year to becoming Attending. Giacomo Gianniotti, who played Deluca, tweeted, “Telling his story was and will be one of the greatest honors of my life.” Deluca’s character brought much attention to both human trafficking and bipolar disorder throughout Gianniotti’s time on the show.

Pushing aside the heartbreaks and uncertainty of this season, one of the most prominent things fans have to look forward to is the return of Dr. April Kepner, who was confirmed to make an appearance after she was last seen in the season 14 finale. I cannot wait to see where she fits into the current storylines, and her interactions with Jackson Avery!

Ultimately, this season of Grey’s Anatomy is definitely something to look forward to every Thursday night! Will Meredith make it off her beach of death? Is something bound to happen to another character we love? Are former characters going to reappear? Nobody knows where they might end up…

Alyssa Marcus

Providence '23

Alyssa is a senior Political Science major with a Spanish minor at Providence College and co-president for Her Campus! She is also involved in PC's Mock Trial Team, Admissions Ambassadors, and Student Alumni Association. In her free time, she loves photography, traveling, and exploring coffee shops in Downtown Providence!
Nicole Idelson

Providence '22

Nicole Idelson is a Social Work major at Providence College. On campus, she is also a part of The Mental Health Awareness Board and Best Buddies. She has been involved in HerCampus since her freshman year at Providence College, and absolutely loves the club. Nicole also enjoys traveling, hanging out with friends, and eating avocado toast.