Why You Should Be Excited About The Hunger Games Too!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

I’ve always been one of those girls who love big adventure, action, sci-fi movies. The ones where the hero goes on this epic journey, the ones with beautiful landscape shots and detailed costumes. My favorite movie for the longest time was The Lord of the Rings. I promise you, I even went to the Lord of the Rings exhibition when it came to the Houston Museum of Natural Science. I bought the paraphernalia and was a total geek (One ring to rule them all…). But this is not though a cry to embrace of your inner geek (Although I know it’s there!). I am telling you to run out and buy the first book of the young adult trilogy because unlike The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and the like, the series features a girl as the main character (Say what?).  

I personally have never seen a female character single handedly carry such a story of this scope before (Lisbeth Salandar maybe?). Katniss Everdeen is a sixteen-year-old girl, living in a post-apocalyptic North America, in a country known as Panem, which is divided into 12 districts. Since her father’s death, Katniss has taken on the role as bread-winner (Hahaha bread! (only funny if you’ve read the book) ) for the family. To provide for them she must break the law by hunting in the forest outside the borders of her town, the Seam. For the entertainment of the Capitol and punishment for the districts, annually a boy and girl are chosen from each district to fight till the death in the Hunger Games, which everyone must watch on TV. The film has not even come out and the anticipation is palpable, with critics foreseeing an Oscar nomination for Jennifer Lawrence’s portrayal of Katniss (awful name, great character).

The only film “trilogy” that has centered a female character and garnered this much hype is Twilight (let’s not even go there). But please know that Katniss Everdeen is no Bella Swan. In fact, she may be the antithesis of Bella. She is strong, both physic
ally and mentally. She is serious, snarky, and plain bada$$.But at the same time, she is selfless and naïve in some aspects of her life.Understandable for a kid that has had to grow up prematurely. Her main concern is survival, rarely thinking about love. But even as it stares her in the face, she has trouble recognizing it and opening herself up to it (Peetaaa!!!), revealing her innocence. She is not a weak “feminine” damsel- in-distress character like Bella Swan. She would not under any circumstances be incapacitated by depression over the loss of a boyfriend. Katniss Everdeen is a real girl, well as much of one as a fictional character can be. She is strong, yet vulnerable, mature, yet naïve, loving, yet guarded, and most concerned about maintaining her morals while under unnatural and heinous circumstances, not a boy.

In conclusion, Bella Swan is the worst; Katniss Everdeen rules; and if you have not read the book order it on Amazon immediately. You have until March 23rd!!!!

Tola Emiola is a Princeton undergraduate in the class of 2014. She is an English major, pursuing a certificate in African Studies. She is a member of Princeton's Disiac Dance company, Umqombothi, and Princeton African Students Association. The proud Houstonian likes to dance, sing, read, write, travel, and knit. She's so happy to be part of Her Campus and looks forward to working with her partner in crime, Ajibike, to expand the Princeton branch.