Who Needs a Record Deal?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

The biggest hit in the past week, the most talked about song, is none other than – you guessed it – “Friday” by Rebecca Black. Either we all love this song, or we all cover in fear from its horridness. The song is rather cute, but the lyrics are too simple, 13 years olds can’t drive (legally), and the girl, though very brave, doesn’t have a real talent for, well, singing. The older man driving his car in the middle of the song scares me a lot. This song also challenges my intellect, particularly in my knowledge of the order of days in a week.

I’m joking– this song is not the greatest song ever, but it’s pretty cute. I just can’t listen to it more that once a week (guess what day). But, this isn’t the only song to be famous off of YouTube. Who could possible forget the infamous “Bed Intruder Song,” by the Gregory Brothers; people were “climbing in yo windows, snatchin yo people up” for months. Some still do. Even more musicians, like Alex Goot, Kurt Schnider and Sam Tsui, and some you may not have heard of, like D-Pryde, De Storm, Christina Grimmie, AMHIR, and Mike Tompkins. And that’s not even close to all of the You Tube music stars.

Many music labels have tapped into You Tube’s musical power and have gotten many signed. A few you may have heard of include Justin Beiber, Greyson Chance, and (possibly) Rebecca Black. Other musicians have created You Tube accounts to connect more with their fans. Miley Cyrus gave up her Twitter account but not Youtube (she wrote a song about it – on You Tube). Ever hear of Keenan Cahill? Jennifer Aniston, 50 Cent, David Guetta, DJ Pauly D (yes, the Jersey Shore one), and others have.

In case you haven’t figured it out yet, YouTube is slowly taking over the music world as we know it. It is slowly becoming the center for music, famous, soon to be famous, remixes and mash-ups, and even those new one-hit-wonders. If you want to be a famous musician, forget travelling to different clubs and hoping to meet that famous music producer. Maybe its time you invest in a You Tube channel instead.