What I Learned From Robin Scherbatsky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

I’ve been a huge fan of How I Met Your Mother since Season 1, and though I love all the characters, I have a special soft spot for my girl Robin Scherbatsky. Robin is the single girl in the group and she is totally independent (to the point of being a commitment-phobe). She’s a strong woman, with a soft spot for the people she loves. She’ll take you down if you mess with any of her friends, whether it’s with a right hook or with her right trigger finger (that’s right, she owns a handgun). After watching Robin for seven seasons, I’ve learned a lot from her, and I’m here to share these wisdom nuggets with you all.

1.  You can smoke cigars, drink Scotch, and rip through a shooting range and still look absolutely gorgeous in a ball gown. Basically, tomboys can be hot as hell.
2.  Date your best friend(s)—even though Robin broke up with both Ted and Barney, her relationships with them were fun and fulfilling
3.  Even if you’re “one of the boys,” it’s always great to have a girlfriend you can always count on. Robin and Lily’s friendship stands the test of time because sometimes you need another woman to talk to. Especially if the topic is shoes.
4.  Stand up for what you’re proud of! Robin is a diehard Canuck (Canadian), which means that her true blue American friends are constantly ridiculing her and her strange lingo. But does that stop Robin from constantly referencing Canadian hockey leagues and Tim Hortons? Don’t be a hoser.
5.  You never forget your first love, especially if he’s played by James Van Der Beek. Despite his later beer belly, dead-end job, and balding pate, he’s still your first.
6. If you have a huge secret—for example, you used to be a Canadian pop star who performed in malls—your friends will find out.
7.   Take risks. Whether that’s in love, in your career, or in life in general, Robin often leaps before you looks. And yes, that sometimes leads to her news anchoring a Japanese television show with a monkey. But sometimes, it means having a wonderful two-year relationship with a great guy (yes, I’m a Robin-Ted shipper). 

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.