Tori: How It all Began

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

When it comes to fitness, I’m not self-motivated. I’m not the kind of person who can go for a run or go to the gym for an hour. For some, the view of Anderson Cooper on the television above the spin machine is motivation in itself. Unfortunately when I work out by myself, I make excuses and don’t get the best workout. However from this lack of self-motivation, I have discovered something fantastic.

One Tuesday night near the beginning of last semester I decided to try a Zumba class. I had heard from so many people about how much they loved Zumba and how they would never go a week without it. I was skeptical, partially because I had no idea what Zumba was, but decided try it anyways.

The room was packed. When the instructor asked if anyone was new to Zumba, I was the only one who raised her hand. She walked over to me, calmed my fears and said, “Just watch my feet.” I soon learned that Zumba, is a “blend upbeat world rhythms with easy-to-follow choreography, for a total-body workout” (according to their website). In my words, it’s kind of an hour of supped-up, high energy line dancing.

I had a blast! However, what I loved the most about the experience was that everyone feed off of each other’s energy. The instructor kept going like the energizer bunny, the girl next to me had a smile on her face, and in turn, I felt like I worked a little harder and had a lot more fun than just going to the gym. In one night I had found my fitness niche – a place where I could dance with 20-30 other people and call it a workout. Now I rarely go a week without going to a Zumba class. I actually love Zumba so much that after this Saturday, less than a year from my first class, I will be certified to teach Zumba. 

Moral of the story:  Find your workout niche and it won’t feel like work!

P.S. Be on the lookout for a post about the certification workshop sometime next week. Can’t wait!

Tori Rinker is a sophomore from Charlotte, NC (Lake Norman area if you're familiar with North Carolina geography). As a southern girl she enjoys sweet tea, front porches, and peaches. She is an intended Molecular Biology major and hopes to pursue a certificate in Values and Public Life. She is looking forward to her first collaboration with HerCampus with the HerCampus Princeton Summer Slimdown Challenge!
Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.