Spotlight: Bernice Fokum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

For quite some time, we at Her Campus Princeton have hoped to highlight the style of individuals on campus (in a manner similar to The Campus Sartorialist or College Fashion). Our spotlight on Bernice Fokum (Princeton | Anthropology | 2014) is our first campus style piece of the year. If you have nominations of a stylish Princeton individual send them to the Her Campus Pton account on facebook or email them to hercampusprinceton@gmail.com

All photographs in this piece are taken by Ajibike Lapite ’14.

Ajibike: What inspires your style?

Bernice: I love bringing together unexpected pieces to create different looks, depending on what I want to convey on a particular day. When I feel elegant I may pair a sweater dress with classic jewelry and tall boots. When I feel bold, I take a break from my neutral color comfort zone and dabble with bright, daring-colored pieces.

Ajibike: Where do you like to shop?Bernice: My favorite accessories come from my travels over the last few years, so African and Cuban street market items are a huge part of my wardrobe. In addition, many of my best outfits are not even purchased by me. My aunt gets me some awesome clothes from small boutiques around Boston. And finally, I cannot resist a good deal, so TJ Maxx, Forever 21, and H&M always get me what I need!

Ajibike: So, breakdown this outfit (where did you get the pieces, why did you pair them?)

I really love this maxi dress because of its vibrant color and that the length complements my long legs and torso. I normally pair it with gold (my favorite color) accents, but here I added some cute peacock feather earrings. Also the turquoise heels accentuated the gorgeous length of the dress. 

Ajibike: What is the best fashion advice you have ever received?

Bernice: The best advice I’ve ever gotten didn’t directly relate fashion per se, but actually actually on how to carry myself. When I was younger I felt awkward about being taller than my classmates, so I would often slouch. My mom told me that my height would look so beautiful if would hold myself with confidence, so I began to walk with my back straight and square shoulders. That way, regardless of my actual clothing, my personal style had the chance to come across. 

Ajibike: What are your favorite trends now?

Bernice: I’m loving that prints are popular now. It really makes people look so eclectic and interesting to see the different unique patterns.

Ajibike: Who are your favorite designers?

Bernice: I really love what Steve Madden produces. Other than that, I don’t follow designers too much, just whatever catches my eye.

Ajibike: If you could raid anyone’s closet who would it be and why?

Bernice: Just give me 5 minutes in Olivia Pope’s (main character in TV show “Scandal”) closet! Her wardrobe exudes power and respect with a splash of class.

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.