Sound of Mind, Body, and Style: Models Followup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

Two weeks ago, Her Campus Princeton featured a photo shoot with a special focus on mental and physical health awareness.  The models are Princetonians who manage to juggle schoolwork, extracurricular activities, and relaxation.  So let’s meet the inspiring personalities behind the beautiful faces!

Kelly Hall

1.    Give a quick breakdown of your schedule.
Senior year has been quite hectic for me. I am currently focusing on taking courses for my Sociology major and also for my African American Studies Certificate. On campus, I write for the Daily Princetonian and enjoy participating in community service activities as well. In addition to my life here at Princeton, I am also an intern at NBC Universal in Manhattan, NY.

2.  When you were invited to be a model for the photo shoot, how did you feel about it?
I was very excited to model for a photo shoot that pertained to healthy college living. I think that many Princeton students can relate to the themes presented in the photo shoot and I was therefore happy to be part of an event that carries such a great message to college students.

3. How do you stay grounded?  Or, how do you keep from being stressed?
I stay grounded by trying my best to maintain balance in my life. I have a very strong work ethic, which is reflected in my schoolwork. However, I also make time to meet up with my friends during the week, even if it is just for a quick cup of coffee. What is so great about being a student at Princeton is that you are immersed in an environment filled with intellectual individuals who are passionate about what they do. It would be silly not to take advantage of this facet of Princeton. I also have an amazing family that motivates me to try my best at everything that I do. Also, my boyfriend, who recently graduated from Princeton in June, is my best friend. I can talk to him about anything, whether I am having a great day or a more stressful day and he is always there for me. Essentially, the idea of maintaining a sense of balance in one’s life connects to one of the best pieces of advice that I have so far acquired this year and throughout my college experience.

This advice, in the words of my Sociology Departmental Representative, Professor Paul Willis, is to “Be expedient.”

4.  Are there any of the bad shots (unhealthy actions that were shot during the photo shoot) that you have been guilty of doing?  What were the results and how did you deal with it?
One particular shot involved a student suffocating in all of her academic and social responsibilities. She is dressed in a fancy dress and surrounded by hair products and mascara because she is trying to get ready for her formal; however, in the shot, you also see her calendar of upcoming deadlines, which may prevent her from going to her formal. I can definitely relate to these types of moments where you are really stressed with schoolwork, but you also want to make time for other aspects of your life as well. I truly believe that the key to managing all of your responsibilities is making sure that you practice good time management skills. Effective time management has enabled me to stay less stressed and also be less overwhelmed while at Princeton. Also, when I think of all of my upcoming deadlines during midterms and finals, I always remember the quote, “This too shall pass.” To me, this means that at the end of the day, as long as we work hard, we will get through anything.

5. Any cool facts about yourself that you’d like to share?
I love to travel. Growing up, I traveled a lot with my family. I have been to China, Germany, Paris, Scotland, Portugal, Venice, London, Rome, Spain, and to many other areas of the world. In the future, I hope to travel to Japan, Dubai, and Australia.

Brittany Hardy

1.) Give a quick breakdown of your schedule.

My schedule doesn’t seem as busy as I think it could be. I have 4 classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Each of my classes are 10 minutes apart except 1 which gives me a 40 minute break. I usually just grab a quick–literally quick– meal in that time. Tuesdays I have one class which is pretty awesome being that I’m already taking 5. Fridays are pretty chill too, but my psych lab is almost 3 hours! I don’t think my schedule is that bad though. I think the fact that all of my classes are 50 minutes and are interesting makes a
difference.

2.)  When you were invited to be a model for the photo shoot, how did you feel about it?

I was super excited to be an HC model! I love modeling, and I love Princeton! Having them hand in hand was unbelievable :)

3.) How do you stay grounded?  Or, how do you keep from being stressed?

To keep from stressing, I talk to my family every day and go to Bible study. That really keeps me grounded and motivated. I keep a journal, nap from time to time, and listen to music almost 24/7 too. I also work out a couple times a week and take Zumba classes to de-stress and just get away from studying for a bit. I really do a lot to just keep myself from stressing out.

4.) Are there any of the bad shots (unhealthy actions that were shot during the photo shoot) that you have been guilty of doing?  What were the results and how did you deal with it?

I have been guilty of a sedentary lifestyle! I did feel lethargic at times and would have shortness of breath. People always assume I work out, but I really didn’t start until this year. Physically I may be in shape, but I still think it’s important to work out, get your heart pumping, and de-stress! I’m happy I’ve started to do that because I can see a major difference in my life from working out.

5.) Any cool facts about yourself that you’d like to share?

I used some of my Zumba moves for a few of my shots! I love Zumba!

Ryohei Ozaki

1. Give a quick breakdown of your schedule.

I’m taking a French literature course studying the effects and historical significance of emotion in modernity, an introduction to architectural history, an art history course fro neoclassicism to impressionism, Japanese cultural linguistics, and an ethics course. I
also play in a chamber ensemble, and am rehearsing with a trio (with a flutist and harpist) to audition for a musical performance course in the spring! Otherwise I find the few moments I have in the day to myself to
enjoy an espresso, poetry, the consignment shop, and the beautiful campus.

2. When you were invited to be a model for the photo shoot, how did you feel about it?

I was excited to be part of a real photoshoot, since I’ve done many
impromptu ones with friends before, but also nervous!

3. How do you stay grounded? Or, how do you keep from being stressed?

I think. About why I’m here, why I’m taking the courses I want, and what
I’m working towards–all the while fighting against the all-too-modern
contagion of ennui. Although…sometimes I let myself indulge in the
gilded, subtle glory of self pity.

4. Are there any of the bad shots (unhealthy actions that were shot during the photo shoot) that you have been guilty of doing? What were the results and how did you deal with it?

I’ve definitely learned a lot about controlling how much I drink, and finding outlets for stress relief and fun (we’re young, after all!) that are just as enjoyable (if not more) like night walks, Surrealist word games, Bananagrams, as well as other ways to have alcohol–a bit of wine with stimulating conversation about literature, anyone?

I can lick my elbow, and I love love love arugula. It’s an unhealthy
fixation.

Dorothy Charles

I’m currently taking organic chemistry, EEB 211, NEU 258, and ENG 206 (Reading Literature: Fiction). I’m also working at Firestone, involved with Princeton Evangelical Fellowship, and peer tutoring.

I’ve never modeled before, so I was kind of excited and kind of nervous to do this. I thought it would be a good experience for me to try and do something new, though!

I love to sing and play the piano, and just listen to music in general, so I would definitely say that music is my go-to to de-stress!

I have definitely been guilty of bad eating habits. It’s too bad that the delicious stuff is so bad for you!

Cool facts? I’m ambidextrous.

Charissa Shen

1) Give a quick breakdown of your schedule.

I’ll break it down by hours per week:
-15 hours of class
-2 hours of USG meetings + roughly 7 hours of emailing
-8 hours for Princeton Faith and Action activities
-1 hour for Bioethics planning/meeting
-then miscellaneous activities :)

2) When you were invited to be a model for the photo shoot, how did you feel about it?

I felt like it would be a pretty sweet opportunity. It seemed low-key and just something fun to do.

3) How do you stay grounded? Or, how do you keep from being stressed?

Definitely my faith. Finding my worth and strength in Christ keeps Him at the center of everything I do, which helps me see things with a larger perspective. I realize that a couple questions wrong on a problem set or a snoozed alarm through orgo isn’t going to be the end-all be-all. The big man’s always watching out for my best interests :)

4) Are there any of the bad shots (unhealthy actions that were shot during the photo shoot) that you have been guilty of doing? What were the results and how did you deal with it?

I might rephrase this question – there were definitely a couple of shots that I at first did not feel comfortable shooting. Actually, I originally opted to be out of the “positive drinking” picture because I didn’t want to mislead viewers, as I don’t drink. However! One of the HerCampus reps talked it out with me, and I realized how perfect it would be for me to be in that shot because I do always go out to the street and have a good time perfectly sober. It was my chance to show that you can definitelyy have a great time out without drinking.

5) Any cool facts about yourself that you’d like to share?

People say I sound like Miley Cyrus, but some go one step further and say I just straight-up sound like a man. But hey, a little bit of huskiness can’t hurt, right? 

Radha Sarkar

5 classes- Politics, Economics, Maths, Latin American Studies and Social Entrepreneurship.
ISAP (International students association at princeton) Exec. Board
Volunteer: ESL El Centro, Trenton (teaching spanish speaking adults english) and Young Scholars Institute, Trenton (tutoring children)
Stripe Magazine: photographer

I was very flattered indeed. Quite nervous too. Also realized on the morning of the shoot that I hadn’t washed my hair for a while.

Usually, I tell myself the assignment I’m working on is a but a fraction of the overall grade for the class. So it’s ok to do it terribly or even not do it at all.

4. Are there any of the bad shots (unhealthy actions that were shot during
  the photo shoot) that you have been guilty of doing? What were the results and how did you deal with it?

I don’t know if they’re going to include it or not, but there’s one of me gluttonously eating ice cream. Gluttony is something I indulge in often.
I feel terribly unhealthy after eating a week’s worth of sweet things in a day. This would be such a great moment to say “but then, i go to gym and run a few miles and feel great”. Or that i go and play tennis in an athletic tennis dress. But that would be lying. I just try to not eat too much rubbish the next day.

…. This question is always the hardest. None really.

Roman Wilson

A man of very few words but nonetheless, he gave me some nice responses! Roman Wilson is a star athlete on Princeton’s football team as well as a new member of Shere-Khan, one of the most sought-after a cappella groups on campus.

I felt honored to be asked to model.I stay grounded by keeping everything in perspective and looking at how important it is. Sometimes I let the stress of school get to me and i stay up late doing my work. I enjoy yo-yoing, playing sports, and doing back flips.

Morgan Jerkins (Me!)

This semester, I am taking five classes for a grand total of 19 1/3 hours of class time a week.  Two of my classes are foreign languages:  Japanese and Russian.  Other than that I am involved in a theater group, an entertainment group, bible study, a blogger for the Daily Princetonian and, of course, the fabulous Her Campus!

Well because I am on the Her Campus board, I had more of a chance of being included in the photo shoot but it wasn’t guaranteed.  However, when the rest of my team members accepted me with a warm reception, I was really happy and excited! 

I am naturally an optimistic person.  I love searching up quotes online for any type of emotion and situation that I am experiencing.  Also I love reading scriptures from the Bible or talking to mentors.  I always tell myself that if I’m
facing something tough, it’s just preparation for great things to come! 

I indulge in a lot of junk food, I confess.  I do not work out as much as I should. Come to think of it, I don’t work out at all!  I am definitely going to get back on track with exercise because I tend to feel really sluggish midday and I know it’s because I need to eat better and work out more.

I’m currently writing my fourth novel! 

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.