Review: Hemp Hearts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

Hemp Hearts are the best source of protein, the best source of essential fats, the best source of vitamins and the best source of enzymes on the planet. There are also not significant amounts of sugar, carbohydrates or saturated fats. What a super food! These have got to be one of the most diverse foods I have tried–I put them in my salads, eaten them plain and in my yogurt in my morning…and they are delicious in all of these ways. These protein-packed seeds are so nutritious and great to munch on throughout the day. They remind me of softer flax seeds or sesame seeds, but packed with tons of flavor and a lot more versatile. It has a nice nutty flavor 

RECIPE

As a southern girl at heart, I would trade grits for oatmeal any day. Only issue is that grits are almost always packed with fat (mmmm butter), cheese (more fat) and carbs. Here is a healthy and delicious alternative to that using Hemphearts!

Ingredients
  • 3tbs cream of wheat
  • 3tbs Hemp Hearts
  • 2tbs honey (we like honey bunny organic clover honey)
  • 1 1/2 c. Milk (we use whole milk)
  • Top with extra honey and extra milk If desired
Directions

Warm milk on stove, add cream of wheat, Hemp Hearts and honey. Whisk frequently until desired thickness achieved.

Disclaimer: Hemp Hearts are an easy way to add omegas, fiber, and protein into your diet. Hemp Hearts are perfect for smoothies, salads, cereal, and more (let us know what you try in the comment box below!). Materials mentioned in the post were sent to Farrah as a gift, all opinions are her own. 

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.