Patricia: Quest Nutrition (Part I)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

I don’t know about you guys, but there has always been big talk about QuestBars and how yummy/nutritious they are. I have always wanted to try one so I was ecstatic when I received a box of their products in the mail to review.

• Flavor: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (click to access Quest’s website for more information)
  • Marketed as having: 21 g protein, high fiber, no added suger, no gluten with only 3g of non-fiber carbs. 
  • Ingredient list: protein blend, isomalto-oligosaccarides (prebiotic fiber), almonds, water, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, erythritol.

Packaging: 9/10

Quest Nutrition did a pretty good job packaging their bars, even going so far as to explain what one of the scary ingredients in the ingredient list was. However, it would have been nice to know what “Erythritol” was though (Wikipedia tells me that erythritol is a sugar alcohol that is 60-70% as sweet as sugar is).

Healthy? 7.5/10

Though the package claims that the bar does not have any added sugar, there IS the sugar alcohol erythritol (1g) and a minimal amount of stevia. Also, the saturated fat content (3g) is pretty high for a bar that packs 190 calories and 21g of protein. Another thing to watch out for is the amount of sodium— there is a hefty 310mg of sodium in this bar.

Other than that, this bar is pretty well geared towards the fitness/health-obsessed. There’s a whopping 17g of dietary fiber, a relatively low amount of carbs (21g), and.. of course, protein protein protein (21 g). I give it a 7.5/10 because of the sodium and saturated fat contents.

Flavor: 8/10

I microwaved my QuestBar on a paper napkin for 15 seconds. It turned soft and gooey and tasted exactly like what they said it would taste like: a “warm, soft cookie.” 

However, because I do not have any sort of sweet tooth, this bar was actually a little too sweet for my taste, hence the 8/10. I had to wash it down with water. For a bar boasting such a high amount of protein though, this one was actually not too bad. Consistency was chewy but not too much so, especially when microwaved. 

Conclusion

Is this Quest Bar worth your money? You can get a box of 12 for $24.99 (click here). While this bar in particular may be handy for traveling or snacking between classes or at work, the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor is a little too sweet for my tastes. The ingredients (minus the saturated fat) is definitely what I would look for in any protein bar but unfortunately, I would recommend against buying this flavor. You can get just as much protein from a simple whey shake! 

(Y’all will learn over time that I am extremely frugal— gotta live that college student life— and will never recommend anything unless it is truly worth the money to buy.)

Disclaimer: Quest is known for their bars that pack on the protein but lack unhealthy amounts of sugar. Materials refered in the article were sent to Patricia as a gift, all opinions are her own.

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.