Oh no! My vegetables are spoiled again!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

love buying in bulk. I love preparing in bulk. I love /cooking/ in bulk. However, I run into so many problems when I am cooking for myself. I buy so many vegetables and before I learned how to properly process and store them, half of my groceries would go bad before I had the chance to cook them. Solution? Google.

Seriously. If you just google “how to store ______”, I can almost guarantee you at least a hundred results on the best way to store any food item you could think of. Thanks to Google, my groceries no longer go bad before I can use them and if they do, it’s because they have long since passed the freshness deadline.

One of the most important tips that I have learned is this: Dice your vegetables and store them in an airtight container with a paper towel. The paper towel works WONDERS. Peppers stay crisp, lettuce doesn’t wilt, onions don’t lose their flavor…. the list could go on and on. (If you’re storing celery, wrap the stalks in tin foil and they won’t wilt!) 

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.