This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

2013. New Year, New You! …or so you thought.

So many of us made auspicious goals for 2013, and 1 month in we are already skipping the gym, eating more Ben & Jerry’s than we bargained on, and slipping back into those bad habits we ‘thought’ we kicked.

So what’s a girl to do? Accept defeat, and embrace our negative habits!?

Guess again.

Today is a new day to work on becoming a better you. It’s time to revamp our resolutions! And this time, let’s make them achievable. So no, you’re not going to climb Mount Everest in one go. But we can at least start with Mount Kilimanjaro. Baby steps people.

After talking to people who have been successful in keeping their New Year’s Resolutions, I have come up with a Her Campus Princeton’s guide to resolution success!

1. Be specific about your goals! Make a plan, write it out, and get a buddy to keep you accountable.
  2. Don’t try to do everything at once; have a 2 week goal, a one month goal, a 3 month goal, etc. Be realistic!
  3. Hang out with friends who are like minded. If you are trying to lose weight, don’t spend all your time with your ‘couch-potato’ friends. Yes, I’m sure you like them, but your waist line doesn’t.
  4. And lastly if you want to get rid of a bad habit, replace it with a better habit. If you are an emotional eater, the next time you are down, don’t grab a brownie–get on the treadmill instead!

Carpe Diem ladies!