Nail Polish Review: LEX Cosmetics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

With 20 new colors for the New Year, LEX Cosmetics is the perfect stop for your nail polish shopping. Haven’t heard for LEX? No worries, we’ll fill you in collegiettes™ and give you the inside scoop about four LEX colors that we got to try out!

About LEX Cosmetics
Like you Princeton collegiettes™, we didn’t know very much about LEX. Alexa Barron, founder of LEX Cosmetics LLC, answered a few of our questions.

HCP: What makes LEX different?
AB: Our colors are created by people like you. Fans upload ideas to the site while others vote for which color they want. The color creator also picks out a cause that they want $1 from each sale to go toward. Not only that, but our colors are free of DBP, Tolene, and Formaldehyde and are not tested on animals.

HCP: What is your bestselling color?
AB: People really love Cayman Cabana and Nectar. Both are really bright and fun, so in the dreariness of winter, they can brighten up your day a little bit. They also both make your hands stand out, and what nail polish fan doesn’t want that!?

Nail Polish Review
Overall, the LEX colors are great. There are great shades  that I’ve always wanted but never seen elser (prime example: Cayman Cabana). The colors, as already mentioned, are unique; these colors have stand-out appeal in a subtle way. Now, that may sound counter-intuitive, but let me explain. The shades are striking however they are not particularly bold or extremely bright, which is great for the non-flamboyant femme. Of course, we can’t speak for all of the shades, but simply the four that we have below.

Nail Polish Above: Himalaya
Opinion: The dark color green may veer too close to black for my personal taste. Nonetheless, the color is quite attractive, but I’m still on the search for the perfect forest green.

Nail Polish Above: First Grade
Opinion: Definitely a must-buy color. With one coat (as shown above), the color is striking–somewhere between orange and beige. It is the perfect color for everyday wear on campus.
Verdict: Buy today!

Nail Polish Above: Seattle Sunshine
Opinion: Ignore the sloppy painting job above, but Seattle Sunshine is anything but dreary. The pale blue / grey color is cute and flirty. When I tried the color out, I received endless compliments–understandably so. Seattle Sunshine was a surprisingly great nail lacquer, that I’m sure all of you collegiettes™ would adore.
Verdict: Buy today!

Nail Polish Above: Cayman Cabana
Opinion: Cayman Cabana is the bestselling nail polish from LEX. On that train of thought, Cayman Cabana was my favorite color out of the four tried out. The teal color is exremely tropical and just exudes spring or summertime fun. Now that the weather is heating up and our shorts and dresses are getting shorter, we’re aloud to rock more festive nails.
Verdict: Buy today!

Also, look out for the new color that should be on its way from LEX—that new color is Seashell and it is certain to look hot!

LEX is a great place to get nail polish. If you don’t believe us, Teen Vogue certainly agrees!

And as always, happy painting!

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.