Meet Her Campus Princeton Summer Slimdown Blogger: Farrah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

Hey there! Thanks so much for coming to my blog. My name is Farrah and I weight about 25 pounds heavier than I did my freshman year of college. I am a junior at Princeton in the Woodrow Wilson School studying Global Health and Health Policy and Environment Studies. For the next 8 weeks, I hope to not only lose that dreaded Freshmen 15 but gain back the confidence and security I had in my body. 

I’m not aiming for a number, but rather the ability to stop thinking about how much my thighs touch each other or whether or not the dress I buy will not reveal any back fat. Before starting college, I was a varsity lacrosse player. In fact, I was planning to play at the collegiate level, but decided to pursue academics and new things in college so I decided to decline athletic scholarships to come to Princeton. As a student who was always running around both on and off the field, I never really stopped to think what and how much I was eating because I burned it off during practice or games anyways. Throughout high school I fluctuated between 110-115 pounds without making any effort. Doesn’t that sound like the life? 

Coming from the south, I have to admit I cannot resist fried foods and decadent desserts—so not only could I stay at a healthy weight and be in good physical shape…I could also eat without a second thought. But then college happened. I honestly don’t know how it happened. In fact, I feel like college goes by so quickly I didn’t realize how much weight I was gaining until I could barely button my jeans during wintertime and had to buy new shirts that hugged my stomach. Since then, it’s been a constant struggle with the number on the scale and the constant discouragement from one diet to the next. I’ll be sharing about my experiences while I try to learn to gain more confidence in my body and a healthier view of eating, dieting and exercising. For the next two months, I’ll be sharing more about what I am up to–from exercise to eating. Check back soon!!

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.