Mary Adeogun: Class of 2013 and Fashion Designer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

Hometown: Born in London, United Kingdom. Lived in Bear, DE for over 10 years.

Major and Class Year: Molecular Biology, 2013

Eating Club / Residential College Affiliations: Mathey College for Freshman – Junior Year, Butler College for Senior Year

Extracurriculars: Drawing, Designing, Sewing, Church mentorship program, Mathey Women’s mentoring network

Dream Career: Long term, to own and operate a large design firm

How would you describe your Princeton experience?

Rigorous, but intellectually and personally satisfying. I’ve gained a lot of knowledge about the world and also about myself over the past few years. 

How did you start Madeo?

I’ve been sewing and designing for a long time. I’ve always been interested in business and naturally wanted to put the two fields together, but was very hesitant to put myself out there. I dabbled a bit into the spotlight when I did my first collection for the Rutgers University TWESE show last year. I was asked again to do it this year. Fotunately I was really blessed to have people constantly encouraging me step out of that fearful mindset and take hold of my dreams and goals. I eventually committed to doing things right this year, starting with launching a website and photoshoot lookbook along with the new collection. And that was the (formal) start of the Madeo brand.  

How would you describe your designs? 

Classic silhouettes, daring fabrics…makes for a timeless look with a modern edge

Where do you see yourself in the next five or ten years?

I can’t really tell the future. I like to keep the door open to all opportunities and directions. Generally though, I see myself continuing to learn more about the business side of things. A successful designer is both a brilliant artist and smart businessperson. I’ve already been working on the artist part; now I have to expand my business skill-set. And of course, building my design and tailoring skills and industry credibility along the way. 

What advice would you given to someone hoping to pursue fashion seriously? 

Learn how to sew. Or at least learn what patterns and fabrics are ideal for certain garments. When you know the intricacies and complexities of a given field you appreciate it and work harder for it all the more. 

Favorite piece you’ve designed? 

All of my jackets. Before this year, I would have easily named one of my evening gowns, but that’s what I’m comfortable doing so I don’t think that says much. I made a jacket for the 2nd time ever last fall and it turned out phenomally. I was so proud of myself. Nothing is more rewarding than working hard and pushing yourself to excel at something new and unfamiliar.

Best style advice you’ve ever received? 

Keep it effortless and understated, and draw the eye to only a few key places. You don’t need to walk around in sequins and metallics head to toe to make a statement. More importantly, dress within your means. You also don’t have to spend a million bucks or wear brand names to dress well. 

Who are your style inspirations?

If I was to solely take inspiration from my favorite designers (Elie Saab, Marchesa, etc), I would wear stunning evening wear 24/7. Anyone who knows me well knows that I take dressing up for events/galas/weddings very seriously. Casual wear, not so much. But i’m working on it. I think my love for sportswear is growing as I continue to design fewer gowns and dresses, and more jackets, blouses, and pants. On that note, I currently look for quality staple pieces that I can wear for more than one season.  I also like to incorporate a few spur of the moment trendy pieces that I really love. I definitely reference fashionistas like Solange, Kerry Washington, Anne Hathaway, and the entirety of the Zara brand for inspiration. I’m also inspired by my Nigerian culture and heritage, so I try to incorporate beaded jewelry and batiks or ankara prints in my looks. And of course, I draw inspiration from staple fashion houses and newer fashion magnates: House of Givenchy, House of Chanel, Lanvin, Versace, Louis Vuitton, Tom Ford, Ralph Lauren, Zac Posen, Michael Kors, etc. The list could go on forever. 

If you can raid one persons closet who would it be?

Hmmm. Anna Wintour. As many decades as she’s been the Editor of Vogue and a fashion powerhouse, she must have some really excellent limited edition designer pieces in her closet. I love stuff like that!

Favorite Princeton Alum? 

Hmmm…Michelle Obama. Such an intellectual and strong woman with a fantastic sense of style. I have quite a few “Michelle Obama” designs lined up. Just waiting for her call!

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.