High Heels for Clumsy Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

If you are anything like me, high heels give you nightmares. You picture yourself falling down three flights of stairs, or getting your heels stuck in the mud, or spraining an ankle as soon as you walk out the door. It’s not that we are total klutzes; something about the high heel just feels unnatural. Our feet weren’t made to be bent in that angle. At the same time, we can’t deny that high heels make our legs and butts look out of this world. And what about that sexy hip-swaying walk that comes naturally only when you’ve got on a pair of towering heels? We can go our entire lives wearing sneakers and ballet flats—there’s certainly nothing wrong with that—but for some girls (ME!), this restriction is like going to a Ben and Jerry’s factory and finding out that you’re lactose intolerant. Hand to heart, I have shelled out close to a hundred dollars not once, but twice on a pair of four-inch stiletto heels that I only wear around my room. And let’s not get into how many hours I spend drooling over heels whenever I online shop, only to settle for a pair of comfortably chic flats.

I went years thinking that I would never be able to walk in a pair of heels until one day, I decided that I was going to force myself to learn how. That’s when I realized that women aren’t born with the knowledge to walk in heels. It’s a skill that needs to be learned, like how to put on make-up or tweeze your eyebrows. Obviously, some people are naturals and after an hour, they can sprint in a pair of platform heels without breaking a sweat. For the rest of us, the mantra is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I’ve devised two different methods to finding your Zen while walking in heels. And, for the total klutzes, don’t fret—I have a back-up plan.

Method 1: Building up

When you first learned how to read, did your teacher throw James Joyce’s Ulysses at you. No, she gave you See Spot Run or The Cat in the Hat. The same method can be applied to wearing high heels. Start with a small heel or wedge, and build up. I remember the first time I wore heels, my feet were killing me after fifteen minutes. And the heels weren’t even that high! Then, I bought a pair of wedged boots and wore those around quite comfortably for a year. The next time I put on those heels, it was a non-issue. I’m not saying it takes a year to build up to a two-inch heel, but the underlying method works! Here’s one way to build up: Start out with a boot with a chunky heel or a wedge, and once you get comfortable with that shoe, go on to a pump with a low heel, and then move on to a boot with a high heel, and then a sandal with a high wedge, and then a pump with a high heel, and so on and so forth until you achieve your ideal height.

I recommend starting out with boots just because all that extra cloth around your foot gives you a boost in stability. Wedges are also more stable than heels, and put less pressure on the balls of your feet. Of course, every individual has her own unique tastes, so obviously go with what feels like the most natural upward procession. If you think wedges or kitten heels are more stable than boots, start with those. The point is to slowly expand your comfort zone until those gorgeous four-inch stilettos finally fall within it.

Method 2: Grit it out

Sometimes, you need to get tossed into the deep end of the pool in order to learn how to swim. This method is for the more impatient girl who wants to rock platform heels NOW. For this method, you will have to push through the pain. Put on your highest high heel and DO NOT TAKE THEM OFF. Also, I wouldn’t recommend leaving the safe confines of your room, though if you really want to up the stakes, going to an event that requires a good bit of walking/standing is also a possibility (though it’s a risky one). When the pain is too much, sit down, but don’t take off your heels. Wear those heels around for an hour or two, alternating between walking and sitting. Repeat this procedure for a few days and the most likely result at the end will be that your feet will have gotten used to the extra pressure put on them by the heels. The bonus is that all heels that are lower than the ones you practiced on will be a breeze to wear. A friend of mine wore a pair of five-inch stilettos to a wedding and did not take them off all day. She tells me that now, three-inch heels no longer give her any trouble. Over intersession, I tested out this method and paced my room for an hour in a pair of four-inch stilettos. The first day was grueling, but by the second day, I saw a difference in the way my feet were responding.

The problem with Method 2 is that although the results come quicker, they go away just as quickly. After intersession, I wore flats for a month straight, and when I put my stilettos back on, although they didn’t hurt as much as the first time I had tried them on, my feet definitely did some complaining.

Basically, Method 1 will give you slow, but long-term results while Method 2 will give you quick, but short-term results.

And finally, for my girls who are just never going to have the time or the coordination to wear towering stilettos, I have a few back-up possibilities:

Kitten Heels– These heels are usually only half-an-inch to an inch tall, but they will still give you that sexy-high-heeled walk and a nice lift for you booty.

That stacked heel will give you great stability and the T-strap gives the entire shoe a great retro feel

The perfect red heels with a shiny patent finish and wickedly sexy pointed toe

Everyone needs a classic pair of black sling-backs, and that barely-there heel will give you the lift without the pain

Wedges- I have a pair of wedge sandals from Payless that are one of the most comfortable shoes I own. I wear them everywhere when the weather is nice (and sometimes even when it isn’t). A wedge will give you lift without making you feel like you’re teetering on your tip-toes.

This cute espadrille has red, polka-dotted straps that wrap up your leg—the perfect springtime treat.

If you’re looking for a pair of gladiator wedges with some glam, look no further

These floral wedges are just begging to be paired with a pretty sundress

Boots/Booties– Because boots wrap around your entire foot, they are inherently more stable than a strappy sandal of the same height. Boots are especially nice for those of us with weak ankles that are always in danger of getting twisted.

It’s almost spring, but you can always rock a knee-high boot with a pair of shorts. And who can say no to such a lovely shade of brown

A cute bootie with a stabilizing stacked heel

For the punk-rock princess, this bootie comes with a rating of Very Comfy, despite its four-inch heel

Chunky platforms– With the 70s trend blowing through, chunky platforms are not only comfortable, but fashionable. These platforms will give you amazing height while giving you the impression that your feet are flat on the ground. I recently bought a pair of Seychelle platforms and I swear, not even a tornado could knock me over when I wear them.

This faux wood heel comes with a one-inch platform, which takes away a lot of the pressure that you would otherwise be putting on the balls of your feet

These clogs come in a fawn-colored brown with an adorable laser-cut daisy design that These clogs come in a fawn-colored brown with an adorable laser-cut daisy design that will bring out your boho side.

These shoes are a splurge at $110, but if you’re lucky enough to have the dough, or find them in your size on a discount website, SNATCH THEM UP. These babies are the ultimate combination: sexy and comfortable. And they come in three different colors—olive, black and nude—so there’s a color to match every outfit

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.