Etsy Shop Spotlight: Bead Encore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

Fashion Icons Credited To and Used With the Permission of Jessica

Introduction
We know what everyone says about Princeton fashion. They say that we all look like we stepped out of a J. Crew catalog; now that isn’t a problem, but the lack of diversity in our stylings is an issue. Where is the fashion experimentation? Where is our drive to dress to impress?–dead with the flowers held hostage under the snow. Believe it or not, spring is soon to come which means new clothes. I don’t think that we intentionally fall into the roles of J. Crew models, but what else do we know? Trendy has become the way of life in almost all stores. Modcloth, American Apparel, and Urban Outfitters are more similar than they ever were before. Unique pieces are hard to find. Enter Etsy. Etsy connects the sellers with the buyers in a unique way. Hand-made products, that are one-of-a-kind and often custom-made, are not only really unique but perfect for Princeton collegiettes. In the upcoming weeks we will highlighting our most recent favorite shops on Etsy!

Bead Encore owned by Janet Palumbo-Lavery (Princeton, NJ)
We are all very aware that Princeton University has strong alumni connections. We see this at reunions and most recently at the Princeton-Harvard basketball (at which we totally dominated) when troves of alumni mingled with the students in support of our amazing basketball team. In concordance with our cultish affiliation with our school, we should tune in everytime Michelle Obama makes a speech. We should have Woodrow Wilson’s fourteen points memorized. We should be aware that Her Queen Majesty of Jordan is a Princeton graduate. We should watch The Office because Kelly is played by a Princeton alum. In addition, we should buy our jewelry from Bead Encore–a collection of handmade jewelry by Janet Palumbo-Lavery, a Princeton grad-school alum. Her jewelry is chic and affordable, so cave ladies, and supplement your jewelry collection today!

Her Campus Princeton: So tell us, Janet, a little bit about yourself.
Janet Palumbo-Lavery : I live in Princeton, NJ with my husband and two sons. I work for ETS as a test developer (that’s right–somebody has to write those questions!). I am a musician by training and I am the co-founder, artistic director, and harpsichordist for a baroque chamber music ensemble that is celebrating its 20th season this year. The ensemble is Le Triomphe de l’amour (www.triomphebaroque.org).
Her Campus Princeton: When did you begin your Etsy shop and how’d you even get into the Etsy business?
Janet Palumbo-Lavery: I have been doing beadwork as a hobby since 2000 and I had made a lot of jewelry for myself and given many pieces to family members and friends. I also made all of the jewelry for the weddings of friends and relatives. People who saw my beadwork kept telling me that I should sell it. When a friend told me about Etsy, I thought it would be the perfect way to sell my work. As a “shopkeeper” I find the site to be very easy to use, the fees are reasonable, and it is fun to be part of a community of creative people who love handmade things. Etsy also offers a way to make custom pieces for people: customers can see samples of your work, then get in touch to ask for particular color combinations or design details. But the real reason is that if I sell a few pieces, I don’t have to feel guilty about buying more beads!
Her Campus Princeton: Maybe this question isn’t fair, but describe to our readers the essence of Bead Encore in only one word.
Janet Palumbo-Lavery: BEADS! It is all about the beads–wonderful little bits of glass that can be turned into fabric. The transformation of a pile of little bits of glass into a wearable fabric never ceases to fascinate me.
Her Campus Princeton: What is the main reason why Princeton students should buy their accesories from Bead Encore?
Janet Palumbo-Lavery: Let’s be honest–we put some thought into how we dress and how we look! Wearing handmade, one-of-a-kind jewelry is one way to communicate something about your individuality and personal style. Princeton women should know that custom jewelry can be theirs! (Also, I went to Princeton for grad school!)

Our Favorite Bead Encore Items

Visit Bead Encore here!
Make sure to stay tuned for the giveaway! Remember that the “code word” is underlined.

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.