The Best Classes at Princeton, Part IV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.
Name: Linnea
Year: 2014
Major: Slavic Languages and Literatures

What is the best class you’ve taken at Princeton? Who taught it?
SLA 220 with Professor Ellen Chances!

Why did you like this class so much?
What’s not to like? You get to read some of the greatest novels of Russian literature – and arguably of all time – while being taught by one of the most passionate, quirky, loveable professors on campus. Professor Chances is really open to the ideas of her students and also truly cares about their wellbeing and happiness as well.

Was this class for your major or certificate program?
For both, actually!

Did this influence your academic plan in any way?
It had already been decided, but it made me love Russian litearature even more.

Any advice for the next round of students in this class?
Some of my best academic memories of last year played themselves out on the rainy May days I got to spend with Tolstoy and Nobokov as I wrote my final paper for SLA 220…you will not regret taking this class!  

Katrina is a philosophy major at Princeton University with minors in Arabic and Near Eastern Studies. She recently studied abroad at Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco, but is back and ready to rock her senior year! Apart from academic advising, she's really into foreign relations, so check out her writing over at International Relations Online and the Princeton Progressive Nation.