Academic Resources at Princeton University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

It’s getting to that time of year again, Princetoniennes, where the apathy kicks in and you start counting down the days until winter break. But fear not! Here’s a list of academic resources available at Princeton that will help you get through these last two weeks and more.

The McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning: I cannot stress enough how wonderful the McGraw Center is! From workshops to tip sheets to one-on-one consultations, the professionals and trained students at McGraw can help you get your life in order and help you be more efficient and purposeful in your academic pursuits. Check out their tips and workshops on time management, independent work, language learning, and more!

McGraw Study Hall:  Sunday through Wednesday from 7:30-10:30 pm, the McGraw Center offers free group tutoring for select courses on the 200 and 300 levels of Frist. These can be great places not only to ask a tutor for help on a problem set or working with your peers to understand course materials, but it is also a terrific time to review concepts on your own and have help nearby for any questions that may arise.

Peer Tutoring: If you’re struggling with a foreign language or just want to make sure you’re understanding a specific problem in you science, math, or econ class, check out the free one-on-one tutoring offered through your residential college. Make an appointment with your Dean or Director of Studies and they can pair you up with someone who has taken the class before and who has been trained to help you succeed.

The Writing Center: This place is magic. I don’t know how they do it, but every time I go see a Writing Center Fellow, they help me immensely in the writing process… even if I haven’t started! If you’re having trouble developing a thesis, structuring an argument, or revising a draft, the people at the Writing Center can definitely help. Make an appointment for your next paper (be sure to schedule your Dean’s Date appointment in advance!) and see for yourself!

Peer Academic Advisers: Sometimes you just want someone to give it to you straight: is taking two introductory languages and two advanced econ courses wise? What should I pick for my fifth course? Each residential college has upperclassmen from almost all majors to help you in deciding classes and guiding you through the academic year at Princeton. Don’t be afraid to send any of us an email (I’m a Mathey peer adviser!) and we’d be more than happy to help—that’s what we’re here for!

For more resources, check out the super awesome website Academic Success at Princeton. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at kbushko@.

Katrina is a philosophy major at Princeton University with minors in Arabic and Near Eastern Studies. She recently studied abroad at Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco, but is back and ready to rock her senior year! Apart from academic advising, she's really into foreign relations, so check out her writing over at International Relations Online and the Princeton Progressive Nation.
Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.