This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Valentines Day is one of those holidays that you either love or hate. For all of my single ladies out there here are a few fun and great ways to celebrate friendship and the single life with the people you love the most… aka your best girlfriends!

1. See a movie- Preferably one that doesn’t involve romance so you don’t have to be reminded of your lack of relationship. But hey! If you love watching a hot guy on screen, woo a girl, then go for it! A little eye candy is just a reminder that someone just as good looking has got to be out there for you too! Nothing like chatting about cute boys to cheer you up! (Something with Zac Efron in it would probably do the trick)

2. Baking Party- Nothing is better than spending the night in baking some delicious treats with you and your friends! There is always the classic chocolate chip cookie, or even the super simple rice krispie treat! There is never a shortage of cookie recipes out there for your trying! Don’t forget the ice cream :)

3. Go Shopping- Retail therapy is the best therapy! Today is the day to spend a little money on yourself and buy something nice! It’s also a great way to spend time chatting with your friends and talking about life!

4. Manicure and Pedicure- What better way to lift up your spirits than a little self-pampering! I love going with my girlfriends and picking out what color nail polish we are going to get! Best way to spend together chatting and relaxing!

5. Netfilx/Hulu Marathon- Nothing like a little marathon TV showing to relax and cozy up with great company! I’ve heard Sherlock is all the rage and with the new Veronica Mars movie coming out in March, I’ve been wanting to catch up on all of those! Can’t go wrong with Sex and the City, Parks and Recreation, or New Girl! 

Don’t let Valentines Day give you the blues if you are single! There are so many great ways to hang out with friends and have a good time! Happy Valentines Day to you! 

Hi Friends! My name is Sam and I'm a senior Biology major at UP. I'm also the 4th floor RA in Mehling (the best dorm ever)! Here are a few things that I love right now: tea, friends, sunshine, bows, scarves, salted caramel anything, and hand-written letters. I'm so excited to be a member of Her Campus here at UP and can't wait to share new and fun things with everyone!
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.