Top Ten Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

It’s that time of year again, when leaves start to fall, fog settles in and the air is crisp and chilly on your cheeks. Halloween is just around the corner, and to help get you in the mood, we’ve made a list of the top ten Halloween movies to make your nights a little spookier!

1.)  Halloween: This movie makes the top of the list, not just because it share’s it’s name with the holiday, but because it’s a classic horror movie about a murderer but also without being too grotesque. Perfect for snuggling up with a cutie and waiting in suspense for those jumpy moments!

2.)  It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown: This movie is the ultimate childhood Halloween movie. If you haven’t already seen it, you’ve been missing out. Charlie Brown and company trick or treat and be sure to look for the fabled Great Pumpkin! A treat to watch for sure.

3.)  Young Frankenstein: A semi-cult classic, Mel Brooks takes the viewer on a fun twist of the original classic novel, Frankenstein. With Gene Wilder, this Halloween movie will make you laugh, and get you in the spirit of the season.

4.)  Cabin in The Woods: A relatively recent movie, this horror film is a meta-commentary on all horror films. With a classic “horror movie friend group,” and a cabin in the woods, many different monsters and twists make for a fun and freaky film!

5.)  Carrie: Another film that everyone knows. The story of a lonely telekinetic girl that gets revenge on her cruel classmates by Steven King. If you haven’t already seen it, I highly suggest it. Take your pick between the original 1976 film or go see the new Carrie in theaters now.

6.)  Nightmare on Elm Street: Freddy Kruger, the stripe shirted, knife-fingered dream killer runs rampant in a town, killing people in their dreams. A perfect film for getting scared!

7.)  Halloween Town: A teenage girl finds out that she’s a witch, and goes on adventures with friends and family to help stop the evil warlock her mom’s dating from taking over Halloween Town! A Disney classic.

8.)  Hocus Pocus: An unsuspecting teenage boy revives three evil witches from the dead. The witches try to take over the town by luring little children to their lair. Watch as the boy tries to reverse his accidental actions and save the town!

9.)  The Ring: Another classic scary movie from our generation. Relive your middle school nightmares with a group of friends as the girl from the ring attacks people through her own movie!

10.) Nightmare Before Christmas: The most Halloweenish movie of all! Jack Skellington and friends find the meaning of Christmas, and the importance of Halloween in this fun, childhood classic by Tim Burton.

Of course there are many more wonderful Halloween movies to get you in the frightening spirit. Whether you watch them on the nights leading up to Halloween, or watch one while waiting for trick-or-treaters, these ten picks are sure to leave you feeling silly or scared, but most of all, excited for the 31st! 

Hi! I'm Avery Aresu, a Junior English Major with a Fine Arts minor at the University of Portland. I'm a writer for the Portland chapter of HerCampus and I'm really excited to be part of the team this year. I'm originally from Auburn, WA, but being here in Portland for these past three years has made me fall in love with Oregon. I love nothing more than drawing and painting, and I spend my free time hanging out with friends and my boyfriend, learning new gluten-free recipes, reading classic literature, going on adventures, bouldering, archery, and going to concerts. Portland is the most wonderful place to be, and I'm excited to share more about it! :)
I like places. I like people. I like stories; every place, and every person has a story. I want to write as many stories about that place and those people until the stories run dry. Which is...never. So I will continue to write. Please, tell me a story.