This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Disclaimer: none of the images are ours and there are some visuals of police brutality.

By now you have surely heard a good deal about the Dakota Access Pipeline. If you haven’t, here’s the basics from NoDAPL Solidarity’s website

The “Dakota Access” Pipeline (DAPL) is a $3.8B, 1,100 mile fracked-oil pipeline currently under construction from the Bakken shale fields of North Dakota to Peoria, Illinois. DAPL is slated to cross Lakota Treaty Territory at the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation where it would be laid underneath the Missouri River, the longest river on the continent.

Construction of the DAPL would engender a renewed fracking-frenzy in the Bakken shale region, as well as endanger a source of fresh water for the Standing Rock Sioux and 8 million people living downstream. DAPL would also impact many sites that are sacred to the Standing Rock Sioux and other indigenous nations.

The DAPL is a massive project being organized by a shady group of the world’s largest fossil-fuel companies and banks. They have offices in cities around the world. Putting direct, nonviolent pressure on the corporation’s’ building and funding this project is critical for supporting frontline resistance to DAPL.

For months, protesters (also known as “water protectors”) have occupied the area in an attempt to stall construction. Led by the Standing Rock Sioux tribe, many have joined the nonviolent efforts from around the country. Celebrities such as Shailene Woodley (Divergent) and Matthew McGorry (How to Get Away with Murder) — both longterm advocates for enviornmental and social justice — have spent time on the frontlines. Woodley was even arrested for trespassing as she left the protest — the entire ordeal being caught on video as she livestreamed. McGorry and co-star Kendrick Sampson spent their Thanksgiving at Standing Rock and like many others, claimed to have suddenly experienced issues with their cellphones as they approached the protest. Even Bernie Sanders has been a strong advocate for the termination of the pipeline’s construction. President Obama has temporarily put it on hold as they review the tribe’s concerns, but has made no obvious actions to really confront all the issues — despite Americans’ pleas for him to put an end to this. The pipeline, if completed, would be an environmental hazard the many people. It’s very likely that we would see a situation identical to what is still happening in Flint, Michigan. 

With Winter fast approaching, as well as the expiration date for the DAPL’s contracts (January 1, 2017), authorities have become increasingly violent against the activists on the front lines. If you’ve been watching for a while, you’ve probably seen the pictures and videos of the militarized police presence, the police dogs attacking unarmed protesters, the use of pepper spray on protesters as they stand in the river. Most recently: the use of rubber bullets, concussion grenades, tear gas, and pressurized water cannons. It should be noted that tear gas is considered a chemical warfare agent and was banned by the Geneva Convention during times of war. Yet…for some reason it has been deemed okay if used by police on civilians. Also, the water cannons are being used against the protesters in below-freezing conditions. Over 300 were injured during last Monday’s Backwater Bridge standoff, many left with hypothermia, open wounds, and more as a result of the police’s weapons.

A week ago, protester Sophia Wilanksy was hospitalized (along with many others) after protesters tried to clear a police barricaded road to make access easier for emergency services. Her arm was nearly blown off from an explosion. While the local sheriff’s department told media outlets that it was the doing of other protesters mishandling a homemade explosive, other witnesses claim that Wilansky was hit with a rubber bullet and fell, then a concussion grenade that exploded on her arm. It would not be the first time that the local police denied certain accusations that turned out to be true. A 13-year-old girl was also shot in the face, though there has been no confirmation about whether it was with “a rubber bullet or live ammunition.” Elders were also injured. Here is a video of an interview with one of the protesters who witnessed what happened to Wilansky, who also explains that the pressurized water was being used before the fires were started. Fires were started in order to try to prevent hypothermia from the water. Below is an image of protesters shielding themselves with a tarp as they stand near a fire. There are also reports and livestream videos showing that other fires were started by some of the police weapons, such as the tear gas grenades.  

Despite President Obama putting a temporary halt on construction, the federal government has made the decision to begin shutting down the camps. The United States Army Corps of Engineers plan on beginning with the largest one on December 5th. Supposedly, the action is in order to protect the public from the violent interactions between police and protesters, as well as from the worsening winter conditions. But those who have been watching closely or who are on the front lines, are hardly interested in this resolve. However, it seems more likely that it is tied to the nearing expiration date of the Dakota Access Pipeline contracts.

It is a troubling situation in which the government seems to want to do nothing to help. It’s difficult to know what will really happen next — will water protectors resist the closing of their camps or will they fight on a different front? Will Obama stop the construction or continue to “review” the tribe’s concerns? Will protesters be able to hold out long enough for the contracts to expire? Despite that though, the movement has been incredible. A number of tribes have come together to support the Sioux tribe. Recently, hundreds of veterans have announced that they will “self-deploy” to Standing Rock in order to help out in early December. There have protests, fundraisers, and discussions all over the country as people do what they can to stand with those at Standing Rock. This movement is large and hopefully it will continue to be. This kind of solidarity among so many different groups is how things change in the world. It is important that we stand with each other, fighting and advocating for those the majority tries to ignore and silence in favor of big money. It is important that we try to elevate their voices without also taking them. This installation of this pipeline could be a life or death situation for many people. Don’t get involved for photo ops, because you think social justice is “fun” or “trendy,” or for your personal image/gain. Get involved because these people have asked for your help and because it is the right thing to do.

Flags of Native American tribes from across the United States and Canada line the entrance of the camp. (caption by CNN)

Understandably, not everyone is able to travel to the front lines to take part in the protests. However, you can still help out and do your part! Below I will provide some options for those of you who want to stand in solidarity and provide support to the water protectors. Solidartiy Week of Action began on November 25th, and Global Day of Action is December 1st!

#NoDAPL Solidarity 

GreenPeace

Standing Rock 

• Donate to their NoDAPL fund 

Stand with Standing Rock

Some other interesting reads from Huffington Post!

I'm a junior psychology major at the University of Portland. I'm an portrait photographer, intersectional feminist and Vice President of UP's Feminist Discussion Group, an activist, lover of reading and writing, and member of the LGBT+ community.