books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Should Students Vote?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Should Students Vote?

Everywhere I go around campus I constantly overhear people discussing the latest political news. This is of course, who will be the next President of the United States of America, the most powerful person in the country, and arguable the world. Who the new POTUS will be is under constant debate and discussion by many students on and all around campus yet statistically very few students in the nation actually make out to vote.

There have been less and less people in the age group of 18-24 voting in the last two presidential elections. The statstics shows us that “in 2008, 44 percent of 18-24 year-olds voted, the least out of all the age demographics. In the 2012 election, only 38 percent of 18-24 year-olds voted, again, the least out of all the age demographics” (CNBC). The numbers are shrinking. This is problematic because it is the youth of America and they do not go and vote for the next leader of their country. The US Census Bureau’s voting data shows that “on average, less than half eligible young adult voters will actually make it to the polls for a national presidential election” (USA Today). That means that less than 50% of students will vote. Many students have no problem talking about the candidates and what they think about them but they will not take action and vote. These statistics are difficult to see because the younger people in America are beginning to care less who the president is, or so it would seem because they are not trying to have a say in who the next president will be.

There are many reasons for students not to vote. Some students believe that they cannot vote if they are not in their home state or that their vote does not count because they have been told that or that is just what they have come to believe. Neither of these is true. First of all students can vote in the absentee ballet while they are away at school of it is not in their home state. Also if you’re not already registered it is really easy to become a registered voter. Next, every vote counts. While the Electoral College is complicated and makes it seem like one vote may not matter, when hundreds, if not thousands of people gain this mentality all those people are losing their voices to have a say in the future nation wide leader.

Its important for people who are eligible to vote to do so because they are having a say in what happens to the country. Everyone has a voice and they should be voting for what they want and staying informed on what is going on in the nation. When people vote they often get informed and make a decision based on what they know, this helps the nation stay aware and on the same page. I know that everyone is busy but you have a lot of time to go and register to vote and then have a say as to who become the next POTUS!