Pope Benedict (2005-2013) with a Heart as Grand as His Followers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

The Pope, who many live for, is resigning. This is a detrimental event because a Pope has not resigned for the last 600 years, or since since 1415 (during the time of Gregory XII.) On February 28th 2013, Pope Benedict will step down from his position as leader of 1.2 billion Roman Catholics. Claims from an Italian Magazine say that his resignation was brought on by unsettling feelings with the church, and hopelessness to make things better within it. However, the people of the Church suspect that he resigned for other unknown reasons. Hypothetically, there are many untold secrets along with this shocking occurrence, secrets that the Vatican chooses not to disclose.

Furthermore, on Pope Benedict’s withdrawal from the Church, many people are flabbergasted and in disarray about what will happen next. Most Popes in the past have served their position until they die. Until death is the promise that Pope Benedict had swore himself to a tremendous institution. While dedication had been in mind at the new beginning of his role as Pope in April of 2005, Pope Benedict also wanted the best for his people and the Church. His decision to resign therefore was not necessarily a poor one, but rather an opportunity to be courageous. It was reported that Benedict felt he could no longer give to the people what they wanted in a Pope. With feelings of doubt in himself, feelings of righteousness surfaced as well. This was an act of heroism rather than an act of abandonment. Pope Benedict chose to do what he thinks is morally right.

Not only is Pope Benedict a leader of many, but also an inspirational figure to all individuals. He is a charismatic man with a heart big enough to care for his people as much to resign from position. The Pope instilled motivation and love in billions of people and while perceiving his resignation with a positive mind, the people that know of him should look at all that he left behind. Pope Benedict left with his people a time of their lives, which will forever be unforgettable. He put into the Church all that he could. In his giving of love he asked for nothing in return and dedicated himself to a powerful role beyond imagination. To conclude with Benedict no longer holding position as Pope, we can thank him for all that he did and for the extraordinary person that he was as Pope and still is to this day. We look forward to another Pope who can offer as much as Benedict, but he simply cannot be replaced within the chambers of our hearts.

Photo source:

http://theothermccain.com/2013…

Fill me out!
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.