This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Meet the co-founder of UP’s newest student activism organization: Students Against Sexual Assault (SASA)! 

Name: Abby Sherman

Year: Junior

Major: Organizational Communication, Gender & Women’s Studies Minor

Hometown: Santa Cruz, CA

Favorite Animal: The lioness

Favorite Movie:  Anything with Leonardo DiCaprio in it

Favorite Time of Day: Definitely the exact moment of relief and utter bliss when I realize I’ve done everything on my to-do list for the day and I can go home and relax

You’re the founder of a new organization at UP: Students Against Sexual Assault or SASA. Can you tell us a little about what your group is doing?

Yeah! We’re a student-run organization under the Health and Counseling Center. We’re an advocacy group that seeks to bring an end to a culture of sexual violence on our campus. This is an epidemic plaguing every college campus, and to think UP is exempt from this issue is ignorant. We address topics surrounding the issue of sexual assault head on. We have spoken at freshmen orientation about consent, hosted a screening of a documentary that brings to light the problem of sexual assault on college campuses, held forums with speakers to open up the conversations surrounding this issue, and worked with other groups on campus in a variety of events to bring further awareness to the UP community.

How did SASA get started? And how did you get involved in this area of activism?

My co-founder Katie (Reinig) and I started SASA in the fall of this past year. She and I had both watched “The Hunting Ground”, a CNN Documentary about campus assault. We couldn’t stop talking about the mortifying reality of it all for weeks. Around the same time, I took a series of communication classes focused on public discourse and advocacy, and my passion showed through as I gave speech after speech on the issue of sexual assault.

I think became most vocal about it after the Brock Turner case hit the mainstream media, though. Stanford is super close to my hometown, like literally one county over, and I have friends that go to school there. It hit close enough to home and it ached me to my core to see how the case unraveled. I couldn’t stop thinking about how heinous it all was, and spent too much time online voicing my frustrations on my timeline. But there came a point where I was tired of just making rants on Facebook and Twitter, and I decided  “slacktivism” wasn’t for me. I knew I had to do something about this. Even though I couldn’t do anything at Stanford, I decided to start with my own University. So SASA was born.

What are the most interesting or important things you’ve learned since starting this organization?

Best thing I’ve learned from staring SASA, and from activism in general would have to be:

Never let yourself feel like the small fish. There is so much ability to make change on this campus and in this world. Don’t let obstacles or setbacks deter you from doing what you set out to do. Not everyone will be as ready or as willing for your cause, but that doesn’t matter. With enough passion and conviction, you can change lives and minds and make a real difference.

Oh, and question everything. The status quo, powers that be, all of it. If something is wrong within a system or institution, be critical and challenge it. Don’t say silent.

What are some things at UP (regarding sexual/interpersonal violence or survivors of said violence) that you would like to see changed or improved? Why?

Well there’s a laundry list…. But I guess if I had to start anywhere, I’d say there needs to be an attitude shift. I think the way we talk about these issues and how we approach sexual assault in general needs to shift. The stigma surrounding the issue of sexual assault is so deeply imbedded within our culture, and it’s made it hard to speak out against this issue for so long. By bringing it to light and having honest conversations about sexual violence, we can begin to break down that stigma and work towards actual change. We need to talk about it more. Not to normalize it, but to understand that having hard conversations is the first step. It all starts with conversation.

Where would you like to see SASA go in your last year at the university?

To me, honestly, I’m not quite sure. We have had so much growth in our first year and exceeded any and all of my expectations. I’m so proud of what we have accomplished already, but there’s always something more we can do. There’s always a way we can be better. This has been the most rewarding and humbling experience of my life so far, but I know there’s so much more work we have to do.  In the coming year we will continue to carry out our mission and to bring more awareness to the student body. All I want to see is the study body continue to have the same passion that I’ve seen already.

Do you have plans for how SASA will continue to grow after you move on from UP next Spring?

We have an amazing network of students and faculty who share so much passion for this cause, and that expands across every class. I am not worried about if SASA will continue to grow once I move on from UP next spring. If anything, I’m excited to see where they take it. The sky is the limit and we have some kickass (can I say kickass in an interview?) humans who will do wonders with this organization.

What resources are available for survivors of sexual assault or harassment at UP?

So many, I seriously keep a business card in the back of my phone and magnets in my purse with a list of resources on them for students.

But yes, there are confidential and non-confidential resources on campus. From the Title IX coordinator, the Health and Counseling Center, our SAFE advocates on campus, and so many others. There’s also a bunch of off-campus community resources for survivors as well, like Call to Safety and Sexual Assault Resource Center, which has 24/7 crisis lines. I’ll provide a link, because everyone should know there is always someone to turn to.

https://www1.up.edu/titleix/campus-community-resources.html

Do you have any upcoming events you’d like us to know about? 

Yes, this Thursday actually! We are hosting a “Take Back the Night” event with the Health and Counseling Center. It will be at 7pm in the main chapel. This event will be a coming together in solidarity to support survivors and those impacted by sexual/interpersonal violence. This will be a space to speak and share your stories, and to receive support. It will be an emotionally charged evening, but one we hope will heal many and bring this community closer together.

I'm a junior psychology major at the University of Portland. I'm an portrait photographer, intersectional feminist and Vice President of UP's Feminist Discussion Group, an activist, lover of reading and writing, and member of the LGBT+ community.