Meet Nina Sackett!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Nina Sackett

Hometown: Las Vegas since 2008

Year: Freshman

Major: Nursing

How has your freshman year been so far?

It’s been what I expected. I am settled into a routine, but ready for sophomore year.

What made you choose to join Army ROTC?       

I’ve always wanted to be in AROTC and college gave me that option. My dad was in the Army for 22 years, so you could say I grew up around the military life and just wanted to be part of it myself.

What’s your favorite part of ROTC?         

I like the opportunities AROTC gives me. I got to do Color Guard for Timbers and Blazers. I repelled off of a tower, practice battle drills and learn a new way of life that most people don’t get to experience. It can be stressful but the experience learned, even as a freshman, can make it worthwhile.

What made you interested in pursuing nursing as a major?

I wanted a career, not a job, that included stability, medicine, and respect. Nursing fit that description.

What are 3 words to describe yourself?                

Practical, witty, and existential.

How does Portland compare to Vegas?

Even though there isn’t the “razzle dazzle” of lights and the city isn’t 24/7 like Las Vegas, Portland has its perks. The Portland people are way nicer, the food is on a higher level of flavor, and I dig the forest nature scene over desert landscape. It’s definitely a 180 degree flip and both cities have their pros and cons, but it really depends on what type of environment you prefer.

How does college compare to high school?         

College is on a higher level than high school. I was done with high school since my freshman year because I knew college is where you start the groundwork for your future. It’s that time of life where you are independent from your parents in terms of distance, but young enough to still be dependent on them. College is like a safety net to grow on your own.

Now that you’re almost done with your first year of college, what’s one thing you wish you had known before starting college?             

I wish I had known the value of studying with others. It really makes a difference when you collaborate with people for school and it also gives you a chance to meet new people.

If you could get tattoo, what it would be?             

I already have ideas for a couple, but there is one that I’ve dreamed of for years. It’s a tiger coming up a cliff and peering over its shoulder. There would be bamboo by the cliffside and petals falling down. It would be in a calligraphic style  and it’s a pretty big piece so I’m just waiting for the right time.

How would you describe your taste in music?    

Oh, it ranges to all extremes. From OFWGKTA, Childish Gambino, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Noah and The Whale, Vampire Weekend, Epik HIgh, Block B, The Doors, ACDC, The Black Keys, Two Door Cinema Club, Luke Christopher, Wu-Tang Clan, Watsky, Fun., John Mayer, Willie Nelson, and everything in between and plenty more that I missed. I can’t discriminate good music.

What is one of your life goals?

My main goal is to reach a point where I am settled and I can say I am content with what I have done with my life. 

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.