Meet Matt Gervais, ’14!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Matt Gervais

Year: Senior

Major: Marketing, Pre-Physical Therapy

Hometown: Medford, Oregon

Activities: Health and Fitness, Powerlifting, all sports and outdoor activities, spending time with people, Resident Assistant in Shipstad. I’m pretty open to doing things I’ve never tried before!

Best UP Memories: I think my best UP memories are my shenanigans from freshman year. I actually loved orientation (Big Al’s, Playfair, etc.) and meeting a zillion people in a couple of days! It really got me started off on the right foot coming to college. I remember moving my stuff into Schoenfeldt during freshman move-in day and thinking, “wow, this is college… Niiiiiiccceeee!!!!” I also have some great memories from this semester (Spring 2014) from some of my buddies and I going to Cancun for Spring Break. My whole time at UP has been a pretty transformative experience for me, so I’ve definitely loved it all (even the hard work)!

Commons or Cove: Definitely Cove! I always get the Big Salads and get like 3 protein toppings. Easiest way to get a bunch of food inexpensively! One UP Bucket list item: Spending time with all of my friends across campus before I finish this May. I’m really going to miss everyone!

Most embarrassing moment at UP: One day I was at the movies with my girlfriend and some of her friends. My girlfriend and I both needed to use the restroom, so we walked toward the bathrooms together and I entered one door and she entered the other. Turns out both doors went to the girls’ bathroom, and when I saw my girlfriend after walking in I totally froze and ran out. As I was walking (more like jogging) out, this guy and his kids walking by gave me a really weird look. Super embarrassing, but definitely a good story afterwards.

Biggest Pet Peeve: Probably laziness in general

Favorite TV Show: The Big Bang Theory or Criminal Minds Celeb Crush: Jennifer Laurence! Intelligent, great personality, and beautiful. Seems like a very well rounded person.

Single or taken: Taken! I’ve actually been in a relationship for a little over 4 years now.

Ideal girl: Definitely needs to be fun, kind, and generous and loving toward others.

Ideal date: Going out to a nice medium-fancy local restaurant for dinner and then doing something fun and interactive (going to an arcade, mini golfing, going to a concert, etc.) Almost any date that gets people talking and laughing together is a good one.

Deal breaker: Don’t really have one thing that’s a “deal breaker”

Deal maker: Loves God and loves her family!

Dorothy Olszyk is a communication studies major at the University of Portland. Her interests are journalism and graphic design. She is from Eugene, OR and she loves her hometown artist Mat Kearney. What Dorothy loves about Portland is the PB&J cart on NW 23rd  St. and the 90's dances at the Crystal Ballroom.  
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.