Meet Kelsey Bestall!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Kelsey Bestall
Year: Senior
Hometown: Evergreen, Colorado

What are you involved in on campus? 
Track team, Track representative for the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), Former president of UP’s SAAC, Former President of the West Coast Conference SAAC, Office Assistant in the Financial Aid Department, I was a summer Resident Assistant my sophomore year, I interned in the sports performance department for UP Athletics my junior year, and I helped plan and organize Sam Jam in 2012 and 2013.

Between all of your extracurriculars, how do you manage your time?
Well… it’s almost impossible for me to do everything I want or need to do, so I choose the things that mean the most to me and that I think I will learn / gain the most from. I am a very organized person and try to stay ahead, so I can enjoy my free time. 

As a student athlete, you juggle your track and field duties, homework and classes, and a social life. What advice would you give to freshmen student athletes who are looking to do well in school and in their sport, but still have a social life?
Anyone that knows me well, knows that I value my free time and will push my limits. I work hard and play hard and it’s a blessing and curse. So, to the freshman student athletes I recommend you learn your limits of what you can handle, know that things will have to be sacrificed, and understand you have more responsibilities than average. My motto through college has been to do what I can with what I have and where I’m at. 

What’s the best part about being a D1 athlete?
The best part is doing what you love at a high level with your closest friends.

Other than Track & Field, what’s your favorite Portland Pilots team to root for?
This is hard because I love sports, but I definitely enjoy Women’s Soccer and watching the Baseball games.

As you start your senior year, what are some of the things you want to accomplish before you graduate?
I started a list the first week back …
[X] Attend an ‘away’ soccer game (did this when our girls soccer team played Oregon)
[X] Hike Mt. Hood (did this the first weekend back)
[  ] Go to Canada
[  ] Buy a spoon ring from Saturday Market
[  ] Run over every bridge 
[  ] Go to a Portland Thorns game (I’ve been to a few Timbers)
[  ] Living Room Theater
[  ] Winery tour
[X] Brewcycle Bike bar
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.