Meet Campus Celebrity: Hanna Herrin!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Hanna Herrin
Year: Senior (Graduating in May 2015!!!)
Hometown: Seattle, WA
Major: Marketing, Minor: Communications

You are a girl who balances many things. Do you spend your time equally on all you have to do? What takes up the most of your time?

I live by my planner. Seriously. If you want to make time for school, extracurriculars, jobs/internships, friends, boyfriend, etc. the BEST thing you can do is invest in a planner that you will actually use. I prefer paper, but feel free to use your phone or an app (whatever works best). In terms of equality, its all about scheduling time for everything: sleeping, eating, studying, dating, extracurriculars, meetings, the list goes on and on. 

Freshman and sophomore year, schoolwork took up most of my time. As I got better about prioritizing and my studies got more specialized, I was able to fit in more time for extracurriculars and internships! One of the best things you can do for yourself is to figure out how you work best. Staying organized is the ONLY way you can tackle it all (or, at least, try to).

Your boyfriend is Dan Decker. How long have you been together?  

Dan is awesome. He is the ying to my yang. He totally balances me out. Dan and I have been together since January of this year, so a little over 10 months now. We bonded over a mutual like of Call of Duty and watched ALL of the Star Wars movies together last winter. Obviously, we were Princess Leia and Han Solo for Halloween this year.

What advice can you give to girls who want a lasting relationship?

Oh, good question! Communication is key in creating an open, lasting relationship. Only when you communicate directly with your partner can you identify issues and tackle them head-on. 

Never underestimate the power of laughter. If a guy (or girl) can make you laugh, its usually a sign that you’ll make it in the long run.

What is your dream job? 

My dream job is to work in the PR industry, preferably starting at an agency to get some on-the-ground experience. Then, the world is my oyster!

What is in your PR toolbox? 

My phone, a notebook, my brain and a smile. It’s really all you need!

How do you plan on landing your dream job?

Through networking. Someone you know knows someone, who knows someone and before you know it, you’re connected to your dream company! Seriously. Never underestimate the power of networking. Keeping an open mind and open ears to every opportunity is the best way to ensure that you’ll land your dream job. 

What is your dream company?

Right now, Edelman or Waggener Edstrom (both, world-renouned PR agencies). But tomorrow, I might have a different answer! I’ve started to realize how important it is to keep an open mind. Only then can you ensure that you aren’t closing yourself off to what could be the opportunity of a lifetime.

What is it like being a twin? 

I LOVE it. It makes me unique. It is so cool to know that I have someone out there that is JUST like me. It’s like having a sister that happens to look exactly like you. We did everything together for the first 18 years of our lives and when we get to see each other over breaks, its just like old times! 

Do you ever have those movie moments twins seem to have where you think of the same thing or do the same thing even when you are apart?

People use to do the whole “If I pinch you, can she feel it” thing. Totally false. We do finish each others sentences sometimes, though!

What are three words that describe you?

Curious, aspirational, driven.

If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?

I wish I had unlimited time. I feel like I’m always fighting the clock!

How did you get involved with Her Campus? 

My wonderful housemate (shoutout to Dorothy Olszyk!) introduced me to Her Campus about a year ago. I immediately got involved and have been writing ever since. I’m the Editor-in-Chief of our chapter now! I love the community and the opportunity to create meaningful content for our students!

What is at the top of your bucket list for Senior Year?

Visit every building at UP! Also, climb to the top of Chiles Center. I think that’s on every senior’s bucket list. Is that possible?

What will you miss most about University of Portland?

The community! The UP community is truly unique. I’m going to miss it, but I don’t doubt that I’ll be back!

I am University of Portland student pursuing a degree in Operations and Technology Management. I enjoy working out, being outside (hiking, fishing, camping, hunting, etc.) and shopping. I am from southern California and love collecting turtle-related trinkets.