Meet Bethany Codding ’15!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Bethany Codding

Year: Junior

Hometown: Santa Rosa, California

Bethany Codding does it all. This junior, communication studies major keeps herself busy with a booked semester of classes and her job as an on-campus barista. She even volunteers in the local, Portland community on a regular basis.

This go-getter has a passion for helping others that cannot be rivaled. Having known Beth personally since my sophomore year, I wasn’t surprised when she said she was going to spend her spring break helping underprivileged children in Haiti rather than relaxing on a beach in Mexico. What I didn’t expect to see was how a one-week trip could reignite a selfless woman’s passion for service. This girl has a heart of gold and a story to tell. 

So, where specifically did you go over break?

I and 26 other University of Portland students traveled to Carrefour, Haiti. It is just outside of the capital, Port-au-Prince. We were there for the entire spring break, leaving the Friday afternoon and returning Sunday night with a few layovers in between. Our program went through Forward Edge International a nonprofit organization that’s mission is to share Christ’s love by providing lasting solutions to those affected by poverty, disaster and sickness around the world.

What inspired you decide to take a trip like this?

I’ve gone on a couple mission trips in high school and have loved the experience. I love learning about new cultures, and being able to incorporate my faith into travel is something I’ve really enjoyed.

What was the experience like?

The experience was a lot of work you were going, going, going! But it was always so fun. You’re surrounded by joy all the time and it’s really uplifting. What I took away was seeing the people work at Grace Village (the girls’ home we were working with) and how selfless a job it is. They center their lives around the needs of the children in the orphanage. It’s really admirable. 

What was your favorite part?

I love going to churches in different countries. Even though in Haiti the heat was a little intense in the buildings, I remember just loving being able to worship with people not speaking the same language, but knowing that we are worshiping the same God. I love how even though you don’t know the language, sometimes you still know what song they’re singing. One day on the trip I was helping make about 600 servings of rice and beans for the children and we could hear the children in school singing Amazing Grace, in Creole, and one of the women we were working with began to sing too. And it was the same tune I just think that’s really cool.

This might be a hard one, but any regrets?

I regret not knowing Creole, I think if I knew the language I could have made better friendships with the locals and learned a lot more about their lifestyle and culture.

Would you encourage other students to take a similar trip?

Absolutely! I think it’s really eye-opening and can totally change your perspective about the world around you. I know traveling is not for everyone but I think at one point people should experience a different way of living whether through volunteering at a homeless shelter or traveling to a third-world country, it’s important to have the personal interaction with those who are in difficult situations.

What kind of lasting impact did this trip have on you?

Trips like this continually remind me about how much I have. I can’t take what’s been given to me for granted, I don’t want to have more than I need and if I do, in some way I want to give it to people in need whether local or international.

Hanna attends the University of Portland and is studying Marketing with a minor in Communication Studies. Getting lost, adventuring in the Pearl on a cloudy afternoon and eventually ending up in a local coffee shop are some of Hanna’s greatest pleasures in life. Hanna hopes to pursue a career in public relations upon graduation and plans to adopt the “City of Roses” as her new home. She is an avid writer and loves spending time with her favorite American authors, Ernest Hemingway and Kurt Vonnegut, with a good cup of coffee and a cozy blanket. Hanna is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for Her Campus Portland.
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.