This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Abby Heebner

Year: Sophomore 

Hometown: Monticello, Illinois 

Studying: Civil Engineering with a minor in Environmental Science 

Activities: Wind Symphony, Kenna Community Assistant, UP Pep Band

What made you choose engineering as your major?

Math and science were always subjects that just clicked with my brain.  What really drew me to pick engineering as my major though, was how much of a role engineering plays in everyday life. Plus,it combines my passions for academics and helping others. So far, it’s a great fit for me and I’m excited to see where engineering will take me.

How long have you been playing saxophone?

I’ve been playing saxophone since 5th grade. I’ve always liked jazz music, so the saxophone was the perfect instrument for me.

How’s being in the pep band here at school?

I really like it! It’s great being able to support both the women’s and men’s basketball teams. Plus, since it’s so fun and upbeat, it’s a great break from the stresses of homework and classes.

Were you in pep band during high school?

I was in marching band during all four years of high school. My senior year I was actually the drum major and that was an awesome experience.

What’s your favorite type of music?

Oh, that’s a tough one! Honestly, I like all types, so it’s hard to pick just one. When it comes to picking out music, it really depends on my mood. One of my favorite go-tos is Beyonce though!

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.