Marissa Shumaker : A Well-Read Activist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Marissa Shumaker

Year: Senior

Major/Minor: Biology

Hometown: Sherwood, OR

What made you want to come to UP?

Coming out of high school, I knew I was going to go to college, but I didn’t know what I wanted to major in. I knew I wanted to be in Oregon and go to a school that had small class sizes and intimate relationships between students and teachers. I wanted more than just a party school. I knew someone older than me who went here at the time and they toured me around and I fell in love! UP is relatively close to home and offers a lot of what I wanted!

What are two little known facts about you?

I hate peas. Absolutely hate them, especially the freezer bags. Gross! Also, I have a motorcycle, granted it still needs work, but I love it!

What activities/clubs are you involved in?

Other than school, my time is devoted to the Moureau Center. It all started with the service plunge freshman year, and after that, I got a job there. I’ve lead and volunteered in various immersions and excursions. Also, I played for a little while on the Girls Rec. Lacrosse team, was on Hall Council for Shipstad and was also on the Residence Life board.

What was your favorite excursion from the Moureau Center?

My favorite out of all the ones I’ve been on and planned is definitely the Urban Immersion. It takes place over the last week of winter break, and we stay local in Portland. During the week, we all visit various homeless shelters and soup kitchens to support homeless and low-income people. We live and sleep in situations similar to them. I got to paint with the homeless at St. Andre, that was the best part! For me, it’s cool to get that perspective in a city that is very aware of the homeless and low-income situation. It was great to see that there are non-profits that really do affect people.

If you were stuck on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

First, I would bring a pen and paper for writing and drawing; I have to get my thoughts out on paper. To be honest, I’d love a whole library on the island, but specifically I want an original Grimm’s Fairytales Storybook, but the first English copy, since I can’t read German. And then sunscreen, I burn way too easily.

What advice do you have for incoming freshman?

Take the time to get to know yourself. What I mean is, college is a good time to learn your limits and to identify your boundaries that you set for yourself. It’s important to know those so you know when you can and cannot push yourself. This doesn’t only apply to school. Keep yourself happy and healthy, do what’s best for you.

Hi! I'm Avery Aresu, a Junior English Major with a Fine Arts minor at the University of Portland. I'm a writer for the Portland chapter of HerCampus and I'm really excited to be part of the team this year. I'm originally from Auburn, WA, but being here in Portland for these past three years has made me fall in love with Oregon. I love nothing more than drawing and painting, and I spend my free time hanging out with friends and my boyfriend, learning new gluten-free recipes, reading classic literature, going on adventures, bouldering, archery, and going to concerts. Portland is the most wonderful place to be, and I'm excited to share more about it! :)
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.