Introducing Dorothy Olszyk, ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Dorothy Olszyk

Year: Senior, Class of 2014

Major: Communication Studies (B.A.)

Hometown: Eugene, OR

Why did you choose UP?

I chose UP because of the size. When I am in class here it feels more like a conversation, rather than being talked at, by the professor. The amount of attention and interaction between the instructor and students is outstanding and makes all the learning difference for me.

I also chose UP because of my dad. He has taught at UP during the fall semesters for over 10 years. UP has been on my radar ever since I was a little kid, so coming to this school felt homey to me.

You transferred from OSU. What was hardest about the transition?

I think the hardest part of transferring schools was uprooting myself to a new location and starting all over with: making new friends, getting to know the campus, the people, the buildings, the traditions, and why this campus doesn’t sell water bottles. It took me a little bit to get the hang of everything but, like any freshman or transfer student, I finally settled in.

What has been your favorite experience of living in Portland?

Portland is a one-of-a-kind city. I love the PB&J cart and boutiques on NW 23rd, Forest Park, the bars on Alberta, and the rose gardens. One of my favorite parts of Portland are the decade-themed dances held above the Crystal Ballroom. Every weekend, the ballroom cycles through a 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and an all decade-themed dance! Dancing to Brittney Spears and Backstreet Boys all night on my birthday was the best of memories!

What has been the most inspiring class you have taken?

CST 411: Communication Across Barriers. This has been the most eye opening class I have ever taken, taught by Dr. Jeff Kerssen-Griep. It has been challenging but so rewarding. Because of this class, I have become so aware of barriers within our interactions, society, and culture across many categories such as age, gender, race, and social-class. This class has shown me that life is never just one way. Life is complicated and people are different. So we shouldn’t hold everyone to the same standards and expectations.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Europe. After 22 years of education, I want to actually go to the places I have read and studied about; to gain new perspectives and insights; to learn about other cultures besides the US; and to take a selfie with the Eiffel Tower!

What advice would you give to your freshman self?

Be confident in your memories, mistakes, who you are, and where you are going.

Hanna attends the University of Portland and is studying Marketing with a minor in Communication Studies. Getting lost, adventuring in the Pearl on a cloudy afternoon and eventually ending up in a local coffee shop are some of Hanna’s greatest pleasures in life. Hanna hopes to pursue a career in public relations upon graduation and plans to adopt the “City of Roses” as her new home. She is an avid writer and loves spending time with her favorite American authors, Ernest Hemingway and Kurt Vonnegut, with a good cup of coffee and a cozy blanket. Hanna is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for Her Campus Portland.
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.