Holmes Pleads Guilty in Colorado Shooting Case

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

In a time when gun laws are being questioned along with other big issues, it is somewhat of a relief to hear about the Colorado shooting case moving along, with James Holmes, the shooter, pleading guilty. Holmes plead guilty to his charge of murdering 12 people last summer at a movie theater. Currently, the prosecutors of the case are considering the death penalty, which will be announced on April 1.

News of Holmes’ plead of guilty in a time like this brings into question the policies that the United States currently has in place about lawful punishments and guns. Because of the nature of Holmes, his lawyers may argue that his state of insanity should prevent him from receiving the death penalty. Some are outraged at this, stating that he took the lives of 12 innocent citizens, and he should suffer as they did. Others state that because of his state of mind, he was not in control of his actions, and should not suffer the death penalty. Of course, the arguments do not stop at the punishments, but rather begin at the source of gun laws.

As a hot-button issue, politicians, states, and citizens are taking sides as to what the Second Amendment really means. Is it fair to assume that all citizens will not take advantage of their right to bear arms? Or is there too large of a risk? Last year, Americans witnessed three shooting tragedies in six months, which many people are pointing to as evidence that gun laws need to be changed for the welfare of the country.

The Colorado case will likely have an impact on the political discussions pertaining to the death penalty and current gun laws. But for now, the 12 families who lost so much last summer will see a lawful resolution and will hopefully feel a sense of closure in such a tumultuous time.

I am studying Organizational Communication with a emphasis in Public Relations at the lovely University of Portland. I grew up in Salem, Oregon, but I absolutely love living in the city. My hobbies are reading, writing (obviously), running, and watching cat videos. And eating. I also love window shopping in the Pearl District, going to the Saturday market, and trying out new restaurants.
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.