timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ghouls, Ghosts and Lattes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

As the end of October approaches and the weather cools to a daily 60 degrees, our scarves and boots aren’t the only things that make an appearance. It’s that time of year when costumes come out and pumpkin spice sales are at an all time high. Halloween in college can be a little different than back home with the ‘rents, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. Here in Portland and on campus there are many awesome ways to prepare for one of the most fun holidays of the year!

Wherever you’re living, decorate decorate decorate!

What better way to get into the Halloween spirit than cobwebs and pumpkins everywhere? You can also take it to the next level and fully deck your house out. The neighbors will love it and it’s so much fun crafting with the girls.

Hit the pumpkin patch!

I know it’s cheesy, but the pumpkin patch is top on my list. Tromping through the mud in search of that perfect pumpkin is surprisingly rewarding. Although it’s a little blustery these days, warming up with a little hot chocolate at the end will only make it better.

Sign up to be a G-host!

Such a fun opportunity to dress up and help neighborhood kids trick-or-treat around our campus. These kids are adorable and will melt your heart. Also, who doesn’t want the opportunity to trick-or-treat again? Sign up (online) here: https://appsone.up.edu/PerfectForms/player.htm?f=jYCgAgUD.

Get creative with your costumes!

Handmade is the way to go. Don’t just go with the simple schoolgirl costume or store-bought costume. Last year, my housemate wanted to be a shark, and by gosh she made a great shark! It took a couple hours of searching for a very metallic dress and material to make a fin but she made it work and her costume still remains one of my personal favorites.

Keep it simple.

It is one night of awesome fun and craziness but it is one night. We still have schoolwork (unfortunately) so don’t get too wrapped up in Halloween activities. Give a little of your time to these fun activities, but not all of it. If you really want something terrifying for Halloween, don’t study. Then you’ll get a real scare!

Hi guys! My name is Brooke Murphy and I'm an Operations & Technolohgy Management major at the University of Portland. I love fashion, being active and meeting lots of new people. I've been writing for HerCampus Portland for a couple months now and have loved every minute of it! Hope you enjoy what I have to say :)