Embrace Your Inner-Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

College is a time for us to embrace adulthood.  People always ask you, “What are your plans for the future?  What do you hope to do when you graduate?”  It seems like people are pushing you to constantly think about the next thing, the next internship, the next semester, the next year, etc.  Sometimes it can be overwhelming.

So, sometimes you need to take a break from the stress of college life.  Remember when you were younger? It was a time when everything was simpler.  I say that we should all celebrate that time!  

Those people who say that you’re too old for Disney movies, they’re wrong! If you want to spend your whole Saturday having a water balloon fight with your friends, go for it!  Hey, now coloring books are a big deal again! Don’t listen to those people who say that you can’t, because I still think we are fully capable of encompassing the spirit of childhood.  Of course, we can’t turn back time.  But we can choose to look at life like we did when we were younger, when every day was an adventure. 

I think kids understand that you should enjoy life and when we get older, life becomes more stressful, so we forget that.  We try to compare ourselves to others and refuse to embrace ourselves. It’s our American culture.  The next thing is always bigger and better.  And that’s not true. 

You will eventually get to where you’re going.  Don’t try to speed up your life’s journey.  If you do, you may find yourself wishing that you’d done differently.  As the saying goes, All we have is this moment. 

Embrace your joy of life that we all had as kids.  When we made life fun.  You are capable of making the most of every day. 

I love University of Portland!