A College Girl’s Guide to Spring Break Safety

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Pretty soon, we’ll be trading in our textbooks, early mornings and late nights for a homework-free, stress-free week. Yes, I’m talking about Spring Break!

Whether you’re traveling abroad, or simply checking out the local scene it’s always important to think about your personal safety. Each year, thousands of girls (and guys) head out on adventures of a lifetime – only to find themselves in unpleasant situations. But, it doesn’t have to be like this for you!

Armed (pun intended) with these Spring Break safety tips, you’ll be well on your way to having a safe and fun Spring Break!

Be prepared.

Preparation is key to experiencing a safe Spring Break. Before you leave, make sure you have a good idea of where you’re going, where you’re staying and who might be there. Do your homework: if you’re traveling abroad, check out travel advisories or alerts before you leave.

Make a plan.

If you’re going out with your girls, make sure you have a general plan for where you’ll meet if you get split up. Make sure your phone is charged before you leave the house – you’re friends, too! This tip might seem a bit silly, but make note of fire extinguishers and emergency exits when you enter a bar or a club– you never know when they might come in handy!

Stay alert.

Use your intuition to identify “sour” situations. Does it look like a fight is about to break out? Leave the area. Downed that last drink too fast? Sip some water. Is a stranger looking at you funny? Find a way to remove yourself from the situation. If you’re body is telling you something isn’t right, chances are, it isn’t. So, listen to yourself! YOU are your best protection.

Bring protection.

Sometimes, you’re intuition can’t warn you of every (potentially) dangerous situation. Eliminate worry and come prepared with pepper gel, spray or mace. We LOVE this pick by SABRE – it’s cute, compact and user friendly! SABRE was even nice enough to include these pink powerhouses in our HC Spring Break Survival Kit! The quick release key ring even provides access to the gel when your keys are in the ignition or lock, keeping you safe wherever you are. Learn more about SABRE’s products, here, and utilize their hashtag, #SafeIsSmart, for more tips and tricks.

Have an adventure-filled, exciting and above all safe Spring Break!

Hanna attends the University of Portland and is studying Marketing with a minor in Communication Studies. Getting lost, adventuring in the Pearl on a cloudy afternoon and eventually ending up in a local coffee shop are some of Hanna’s greatest pleasures in life. Hanna hopes to pursue a career in public relations upon graduation and plans to adopt the “City of Roses” as her new home. She is an avid writer and loves spending time with her favorite American authors, Ernest Hemingway and Kurt Vonnegut, with a good cup of coffee and a cozy blanket. Hanna is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for Her Campus Portland.