Cleaning That Closet Clutter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Closet cleaning, a daunting task. After hoarding college sweaters and jeans that don’t fit anymore, it’s time for a clean sweep. Inspired by The College Prepster, Carly Heitlinger’s list for tips on tackling that mess are bound to help you clean out the clutter. Here’s the condensed version:

1. Don’t be afraid of the mess. After months of accumulating random articles of clothing including hula skirts and bro tanks, you never know what’s lurking from UP parties past. Make a day out of it, or even a wine night with the girls. It could be fun to dig up some dirt.

2. If you don’t wear it, get it outta there. It’s taking up valuable space that could be filled with brighter and better things. Girls, there is more out there. I promise.

3. Clear the whole thing out. I mean it. Take everything off hangers, out of crevasses and grab all your shoes. Starting off with a good idea of what you have will help you figure out what you should keep (and what you should toss).

4. Divide and conquer! Split your clothes into piles: love it, need it, leave it. Putting your “need it” pile in first will help you evaluate what you need to keep. Sorting through your “love it” pile will make you really think if you need those butt-bedazzled jeans you loved so much in middle school. Looking at the “leave it” pile will help put some stuff behind you and make your roommate’s night giving them first dibs.

5. Keep it clean. You made the dedication to cleaning it out, so don’t let it go to waste! You worked hard, now show it off! It’s like finally getting six pack abs, but not really.

In all seriousness, an organized closet will help you feel your best. Clean out all of those skeletons (just kidding) and sweatshirts from schools you didn’t go to. Let go of the middle school days, or whatever past style still haunts your fashion history. Make steps toward a new day with your best-dressed self. Keep that closet clean, girls!

Hi guys! My name is Brooke Murphy and I'm an Operations & Technolohgy Management major at the University of Portland. I love fashion, being active and meeting lots of new people. I've been writing for HerCampus Portland for a couple months now and have loved every minute of it! Hope you enjoy what I have to say :)