Another Tragedy That Makes Us Stronger – The Boston Bombing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Global Post

On Monday, April 15th, 2013, Boston endured a tragedy during one of their most popular and festive events, the Boston Marathon. At the finish line of the marathon, an explosive bomb was detonated. The casualties included an 8-year old boy, Martin Richard; a 29-year old woman, Krystle Campbell; and a Boston University graduate student (who was a Chinese citizen), Lu Lingzi. While three individuals were killed, 176 others were injured. Furthermore, the investigation has lead to two suspects involved in initiating the bombs. Of most recent updates, both individuals were caught. The first bomber, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was targeted by police and shot to death. Then, just recently on Friday, Dzhokar Tsarnaey (19-year-old; younger brother of Tamerlan) was found hiding in a boat and was captured by authoritiies.

In grieving, this catastrophic event took a toll on everyone. If anything, it instilled fear in individuals. Society is both weak and vulnerable when it comes to these sorts of ‘surprise’ tragedies. However, these occurrences of terror, though traumatizing and sad, teach us so much. It serves as a reminder that there are truly ‘evil’ people in this world. In turn, we have to look out for one another and protect strangers, neighbors and ourselves. When it comes down to the bottom line, we coexist and all want to have a long-lived, well-lived life. Aside from being aware of the evil that lurks in the places least expected, these targeted events of chaos allow law enforcement and government officials to be also more aware to the security practiced daily as well as the procedures that need to be acted upon in situations of this resulting tragedy.

Fill me out!
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.