5 Tips for Sleeping Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

With the fall semester closing in on its last two months, I’m sorry to say our classes are only going to become more and more demanding. There are essays, exams, projects and massive amounts of reading to be done! It’s crunch time, and that means staying up to ridiculous hours of the night and dragging your feet like an extra in a zombie movie during the day. It’s far too easy to stress out so much that sleep eludes you; in fact, getting to sleep at all is one of my greatest personal struggles. But you definitely need your rest if you’re going to keep functioning like a normal human being, so here are some tips for relaxing yourself and getting a good night’s rest!

1. Make the Time

I know we’re often enticed to pull all-nighters during the week, for academic reasons or just because we’re having fun, but do try to make time to sleep for at least six hours, if you can manage. That’s the minimum amount you need to function properly throughout your day, and making that time to sleep long enough will only benefit you in the long-run!

2. Unplug

Try not to actually bring your laptop to bed with you. I know it’s really tempting, but looking at any kind of screen before trying to go to sleep really puts a damper on your efforts to float off to dreamland! Try mostly unplugging yourself about an hour before you head to bed, so that your mind has time to start winding down and putting itself on standby for the night.

3. Take a Warm Shower

It’s always nice to go to bed feeling clean, warm, and refreshed. So take a warm shower before trying to go to sleep! Actually, going from a warm shower to a cooler room does wonders for helping you feel drowsy, because it lowers your body temperature and slows down your breathing and heart rate. As a habitual insomniac, this is definitely a go-to method of mine for making myself sleepy!

4. Relax Yourself

Dim or turn off the lights in your room, drink some calming tea, read a book that you actually enjoy, take deep breaths to set a rhythm, or focus on calming and happy thoughts; anything with the possibility to de-stress your mind before nodding off is a good idea.  Try dull or repetitive activities to help you feel sleepy. Bonus Tip: In my personal experience, Chamomile, Lavender, and Passionflower teas are the best for helping you calm down and go to sleep.

5. Listen to Some Music

Make a playlist for yourself of familiar music that calms you down! Play it on low volume when you’re going to bed, without earbuds if you can, so that you have something comforting and ambient for your mind to focus on as you drift off to sleep.

Kijana Gilcrest is a Political Science major at University of Portland. Her interests involve literature, spoken word, social justice, travel, and good food. She is originally from San Jose, CA, where she delights in the fact that she is close enough to San Francisco, Monterey, and Half Moon Bay to escape from time to time. Kijana loves Portland first for its atmosphere of unapologetic weirdness, and second for its weather (believe it or not).