3 Reasons to Hike and 3 Places to do It!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

After reading the title I know what you’re thinking – Hiking? Oregon? Sooo Oregonian –and yes you are right! But hey, maybe us Oregonians have got something right! After all, there are multiple benefits to hiking regularly.

Reason #1: Remember, “A healthy body is a happy body.”

Hiking has been proven to improve your health in multiple ways. For example, it reduces risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, increases your bone density, and it helps keep your weight under control by burning calories. Haven’t you ever heard that you feel better after a great workout? It is 100% true. The act of being outdoors, fresh air, and sun can actually improve your mood! There are more healthy benefits, but I think you get the gist of it: hiking is generally good for your body!

Reason #2: Hiking is a great de-stressor

College can be overwhelming! When you’re hiking you give your mind a break from all of the stress and pressure that college brings. You can take a quick hike or hike for a couple hours. It just depends on how long of a break you want to take. You can let your mind wander to the great views, beautiful trees and scenery.

Reason #3: It’s easy and cheap!

Hiking is so easy–you take a few steps on a trail and voila you’ve begun your hike. Also, there are a great variety of trails depending on the difficulty level you prefer. Hiking is great for anyone! Also it is extremely cheap. You can really wear anything: jeans, athletic pants, running shoes, hiking boots, etc. You really just need water, snacks, and means of transportation to get to the trail. Transportation can be tricky, especially living on campus without a car. There are other ways to get to the trail. Outdoor Pursuits located in Howard Hall rents out bikes that you can take to forest park! They also offer some great hiking trips for very low cost.

Now that I’ve convinced you how awesome hiking is, I’ll give you a few beautiful trails to check out!

1. Angel’s Rest

• 4.8 miles
  • Moderate difficulty
  • Beautiful view at the top!

2. Cape Horn Loop Hike

• 7.1 miles
  • Moderate difficulty
  • Great viewpoints and a waterfall

3. Lower Maple Trail Look

• 3 miles
  • Moderate difficulty
  • Great view