3 Extensions to Add to Your Google Chrome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Nowadays, the majority of our time is spent online. From writing papers to online shopping, our computers, it seems like, are glued to our hips. Since we spend so much time on online, it makes sense that we should improve our browsing experience. There are quite a few options to pick from when it comes to internet browser: Safari for those Mac users, Internet Explorer for those who consider themselves hipster or really into throwbacks, Mozilla Firefox for those who like a classic browser, or Google Chrome for Google lovers. Are you browser loyal? Personally, I always use good ol’ Google Chrome. If you’re anything like me though, you don’t know about all the fun things you can add to your browsing experience, especially on Google Chrome. You know that little 3×3 square in the upper left corner of the bookmarks bar that says “Apps”? Well if you click that, then you can get to the Google Web Store. From there, you can find apps, themes, extensions and games. Here are three extensions to definitely check-out.

1. Grammarly

Okay, ads for this pop up on Pandora and YouTube all the time. At first, I was like oh this is a cool and would probably be good to download, but I don’t need it right now. I was on an extension adding spree so I, of course, decided to add this extension to my browser and so far I like it. Typos. No one likes them. They can make what you’re trying to say lose its meaning and just look bad. Typos pop up all the time when texting, thank you autocorrect no I didn’t mean duck, but even worse than a texting typo is an email typo. If you’re anything like me and reread your emails at least 3 times looking for errors before sending it out, then this is definitely for you. Think of this extension as your personal writing assistant.

2.Screen Shader

Nowadays, we spend so much of our time and day staring at a screen. From computers, tablets, smartphones, and TVs, it’s a lot. I have my phone screen brightness set to be adjusted to night shift mode from dusk to dawn and I love it. If I turn off the feature and get the bright background once more, my eyes will start to hurt especially if I’m looking at my phone at night. The best part of this extension is that it adjusts it automatically based on the time of day. When I saw this recommended app, I was like why not and so far I really like it.

3. Honey

Okay, who doesn’t look for deals and coupons when they online shop? I know I do! I’m always on the lookout for the ways to save an extra dollar, especially as a college student. Whenever I online shop, before I check out I always Google to see if there are any coupons. Normally, they tend to either not work nor exist, so when I saw the application, Honey, pop up I was quite excited. I just downloaded it, so I’m still very new to the whole thing, but the gist of it is that it will automatically apply coupon codes to your cart and it will also show you all the current coupons and sales being offered by the store. The reviews on this are through the roof, so might as well give it a try.

Bonus: Did you know you can change the theme of your Google search page? I love having a more personalized screen instead of just having the plain white background. There are so many themes to pick from the options are endless. It’s like Ariel’s song in The Little Mermaid. They’ve got patterns and landscape backgrounds a-plenty. They’ve got animals and colors galore. Make sure to check out the themes to make your Goggle searches just a little more personalized. My go-to theme is “Flower Power.”

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants. 
Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.