nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

21 Drinks to Know When You Turn 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Sip, Sip, Hooray! You’re 21! Welcome to the age where you can now legally get into bars and buy alcohol. Turning 21’s definitely a birthday milestone. Maybe you already know your way around a bar and have your go-to drink, but if you’re looking to try something new check out these 21 drinks: 

1. Long Island Iced Tea

What’s in it: Vodka, Gin, White Rum, Tequila, Triple Sec, Lemon Juice, Cola, Lemon Wedges 

Not going to lie, this is one of my go-to drinks. 

2. AMF

What’s in it: Vodka, Gin, White Rum, Tequila, Blue Curacao, Sour Mix, Lemon-Lime Soda, Lemon Slice, Lime Slice, Maraschino Cherry

3. Whiskey Sour

What’s in it: Whiskey, Maraschino Cherry, Sour Mix (Lemon Juice, Sugar, Water), Egg White (Optional) 

4. Martini

What’s in it: Vodka, Olive Juice 

* There are all kinds of martinis. Click here to check out more varieties.*

5. Amaretto Sour

What’s in it: Amaretto Liqueur, Sweet & Sour Mix, Lemon-Lime Soda, Orange Slice, Maraschino Cherry

6. Margarita

What’s in it: Tequila, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Triple Sec, Glass Rimmed with Salt, Ice, Slice of Lime

*There are tons of different margaritas. Click here to check out more. 

7. Jagerbomb

What’s in it: Shot of Jagermeister dropped into a glass of beer. People now use Red Bull instead of beer. 

Warning: Mixing energy drinks with alcohol is not recommended. 

8. Screwdriver 

What’s in it: Vodka, Orange Juice 

9. Mimosa

What’s in it: Orange Juice, Champagne 

10. Strawberry Daiquiri

What’s in it: Frozen Strawberries, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Rum, Sugar, Ice, Lemon-Lime Soda

11. Mai Tai

What’s in it: Dark Rum, Light Rum, Triple Sec, Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, Cranberry Juice, Maraschino Cherry

Related Article: 21 Things You Need in Your Closet by the Time You’re 21

12. Old Fashioned

What’s in it: Bitters, Water, Orange Wedge, Maraschino Cherries, Bourbon or Whiskey 

13. Cosmopolitan

What’s in it: Vodka, Triple Sec, Cranberry Juice, Lime Juice

14. Manhattan

What’s in it: Whiskey, Sweet Red Vermouth, Maraschino Cherry, Bitters, Orange Peel 

15. Dirty Shirley

What’s in it: Grenadine Syrup, Vodka, Sprite, Maraschino Cherries

16. Piña Colada

What’s in it: Pineapple Juice, White Rum, Ice, Coconut Cream or Coconut Milk, Pineapple Wedge, Maraschino Cherry

17. Tequila Sunrise

What’s in this: Tequila, Orange Juice, Grenadine, Orange Slice, Maraschino Cherry

18. Sex on the Beach

What’s in this: Vodka, Cranberry Juice, Peach Schnapps, Orange Juice, Orange Slice, Maraschino Cherry

19. Mojito

What’s in it: Rum, Mint Leaves, Lime Juice, Sugar, Club Soda, Lime Wedges

20. Moscow Mule

What’s in it: Vodka, Spicy Ginger Beer, Lime Juice, Lime Wedge *Typically served in a copper mug*

21. The Classics: Rum & Coke, Vodka Cranberry, Whiskey GingerGin & TonicVodka Lemonade

What’s in a…

Rum & Coke: Rum, Cola, Lime Juice, Lime Slice

Vodka Cran: Vodka, Cranberry Juice, Lime Slice 

Whiskey Ginger: Ginger Ale, Whiskey 

Gin & Tonic: Gin, Tonic Water, Lime Slice  

Vodka Lemonade:  Vodka, Lemonade, Lemon Slide 

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.