10 Mildly Spooky Movies to Watch on Netflix This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

If you’re like me, then you aren’t a big fan of scary movies and can’t handle all the gore, murder and constant pop-ups that usually occur in horror movies. But don’t worry, I made this list so we can all enjoy Halloween without worrying about creepy men in hockey masks trying to murder us later on. While these might not be the scariest movies, I think they’re Halloween classics that everyone should watch.

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas

A classic movie that’s perfect for Halloween and Christmas- a two in one! Also, who doesn’t love the romance between Jack and Sally?

2. The Addams Family

A weird family that enjoys scaring other people and making them uncomfortable…this family’s so relatable.

3. Children of the Corn

Okay, this one’s a little scarier than the others, but if I can watch it so can you. Plus, there’s a bunch of children in it, so how bad can it be?

4. Gremlins

They’re mischievous creatures that create chaos around the neighborhood and try to murder everyone. And who doesn’t find Gizmo adorable?

5. Coraline

Coraline finds another dimension that’s way cooler than the world she lives in but discovers her alternate family isn’t as nice as she originally thought.

6. Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride

A man unknowingly proposes to a corpse and spends the movie scared of commitment.

7. The Craft

A group of friends that also happen to be witches, but things get out of control when they start abusing their power.

8. Jaws

A classic about a killer shark that’ll make you rethink going to the ocean.

9. The Sixth Sense

A young boy’s haunted by ghosts and his psychologist helps him get rid of them, but there’s a twist! This one is a classic!

10. The Village

The people in this secluded village are trapped by the creatures along their borders.

Bonus

Stranger Things

Okay, this one isn’t a movie, but it’s so good that I had to include it on the list. A group of kids try to rescue their friend and defeat an evil creature that exists in another dimension. Also, Season 2 premieres on October 27th so it’s the perfect time to start watching.