Wellness > Health

Frank, Frary Love My Body: The Top 10 Superfoods Found in the Dining Halls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pomona chapter.

College can have an irreparable toll on both the wallet and the waistline. Fortunately, there are certain foods that work wonders on the body and the psyche, from helping repair the damage of a night at Sushi Cruise to giving an essential vitamin boost for productivity. The even better part is that many of these foods can be found in both dining halls, so a trip to the market isn’t necessary. Here, I dish up my ten favorites:

10) Lean meats (turkey, chicken, and fish) Two traditions of Pomona College dining are burrito night and Taco Tuesday. Opting for chicken instead of the beef and pork options can save a few grams of fat while still providing protein, which is essential in building muscle.

9) Low-fat yogurt A common problem among women (and especially college students) is that we are not getting enough calcium to maintain proper bone health and density well into old age. A dollop of yogurt at brunch or for dessert does the trick in boosting calcium reserves.

8) Tomatoes Tomatoes contain lycolene, which can help prevent blood clots, high cholesterol, and heart disease (guys: it can also help fight prostate cancer), three very convincing reasons to add that tomato to your sandwich. Please note: no matter what the Bush administration said, ketchup does not count.

7) Local organic apples The old adage “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” still holds true today. To prevent an unplanned visit to Tranquada, choose apples for their essential nutrients and high fiber content.

6) Tofu Tofu is like Nicki Minaj; you either love it or you hate it. If you are part of the latter group, consider tofu’s high soy protein and omega-3 fatty acid content before you write it off.

5) Artichokes Artichokes are high in potassium, which has been shown to relieve stress and anxiety levels. They are also high in magnesium, helpful in combating back pain, something that might come in handy if you’ve been following Her Campus’ other tips.

4) Kidney beans If you’re feeling weary or perpetually fatigued, kidney beans might be the answer. Iron, which carries oxygen to blood cells, is imperative in preventing anemia and is present in kidney beans.

3) Broccoli A lesser-known benefit of broccoli is that it is a detoxifying agent. So if you’re feeling the effects of the weekend load up on broccoli and help your body eliminate contaminants. Your liver’s new best friend.

2) Carrots Carrots contain vitamin A, which improve vision and means no more struggling to read the board in class. The dining hall always provides carrot sticks in the salad bar, making them one of the most accessible of the foods on this list.

1) Spinach Spinach receives the number one superfood spot because it is charged with vitamins and nutrients. Besides antioxidants, spinach also contains vitamin K, which reduces blood clots, and folate, which can prevent cervical cancer and heart disease. Reason enough to sub out romaine for this superhero in your salad.