Dance, A Weapon for Social Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pomona chapter.

The Martha Graham Dance Company gave a sold out, one-night-only special performance tonight in Big Bridges Auditorium. The event, titled “Essential Graham: Classics from the Martha Graham Dance Company”, featured student dancers from across the 5C’s and a “taste” of Graham’s most famous work, as well as the work of her contemporaries.

Martha Graham is known as one of the leaders and founders of American modern dance, and is renowned for the political, social, and psychological implications of her works. Her unique style and experimental movement has influenced most of America’s greatest dancers and choreographers, and has redefined the definition of contemporary dance across the world.

Needless to say, tonight’s performance was indeed a special treat for the Claremont Colleges, as well as the greater community. Presented by the Pomona College Department of Theatre and Dance and generously funded by Pomona College Alumni and the local Inland Pacific Ballet, the performance gave both students and members of the community a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn about who Martha Graham was and why she is so important and influential. As a dancer myself, I was thrilled to see so many members of the student body eager to observe and learn about modern dance, and one of it’s most valuable contributors.

The performance itself was incredible. Three pieces were performed, and each spoke to a different aspect of Graham’s philosophy. The first piece was inspired by social issues of the 1920’s and 1930’s, civil rights and social change. The second piece had been conceived and created to commemorate the anniversary of 9/11, and the final piece was simply about love. In this repertoire, there was a little something for everyone, and all the pieces were the perfect length to keep the entire audience enraptured. The athleticism of the Graham Company’s dancers had audience members holding their breaths, and the shapes and patterns created on the stage were mesmerizing.

“Panorama”, the final section of the first piece, was performed entirely by a group of student dancers from the Claremont Colleges, who had been working and rehearsing for over five months. Their work certainly did not go unnoticed, as the movements were all performed to perfection and each section was perfectly in sync. The piece, speaking about how people’s solidarity can induce social change, was powerful.
Overall, the performance was a wonderful and unique opportunity for the greater Claremont Colleges community to see and learn the revolutionary technique and style of Martha Graham, one of the most fundamental and significant dancers of the 20th century. 

Interviews with the Pomona Dance students who participated in “Panorama” coming up shortly!