“You Know You Go To Point Park When…”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

There’s no doubt that Point Park University is a college unlike any other. We have majors as diverse as our student body, and our campus spans over a mere five blocks in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh. Every college has its own quirks and twists, but a school as small and theatrical as Point Park is in a league of its own! So we’ve compiled 13 indications that you go to Point Park:

1.     You can’t be in a building for more than 30 seconds without hearing someone breaking into a full-fledged Broadway performance

2.     You’re not really sure what the school’s official motto is #MeetMeAtTheCornerofReal&World

3.     Your school’s unofficial motto is “Gay by May”

4.     A drag queen is a more common sighting around campus than students playing frisbee

5.     The first question your friends ask isn’t “is he cute,” but rather “is he straight?”

6.     Finding a working printer is as much of a challenge as finding a single straight guy

7.     Same goes for a working elevator

8.     You need to allot at least 20 minutes on your way to class just to catch a said elevator in all of our buildings

9.     You’ve learned firsthand that it’s possible to get third degree burns and hypothermia simultaneously in the residence hall showers

10. You have to catch a bus out of downtown to find an open business after 4:30pm

11. You’re unsure of what your mascot really is: pio…bison…neers?

12. You always have a backup coffee order because our Starbucks is most likely out of the ingredients for your first choice

13. And finally, you need an umbrella (even on the sunniest days) to avoid getting soaked by the fountain on the way to West Penn 

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.