You Are Good Enough: A Reflection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Phot credit: www.makeitinmusic.com

The mirror is your worst enemy. I mean it’s just a mirror? What has it ever done to you? You wake up to see a reflection of yourself. You became upset at what you’re looking at and turn away from the reflection. Picking an outfit for the day is a hassle. You’re constantly worried what others will think or if your “crush” will see you looking unflattering. Self-doubt hits you hard. You go on Facebook to see happy couples going to a concert, flying to Florida, or just passionately in love. Yet, all you get on Tinder is “You looking” or ‘What can those lips do?”. Sexually objectified has become an everyday occurrence. You are not told how pretty you are or asked why “Edward Scissorhands” is your favorite film but what your favorite sex position is. You lose hope in yourself, love and passions that once made you so happy. However, you are good enough.

Photo Credit: www.projectinspired.com

You are good enough for this world that has become so obsessed with looks and image. If you don’t have the perfect body, you’re looked down upon. You see the perfect person and think “Why can’t be me?” It’s those exact thoughts that lead to anorexia and bulimia. Feeling that you are to “unfit” to even eat. Grab that cheeseburger and eat. You were not meant be a size 0.  The truth is…. It was never meant to be you. Your body is yours and is special to you. It’s what makes you.. you. You’re not a “fat pig” like some world leaders want to make you believe. You’re a stunning human who deserves any love that comes your way. You are good enough.

Photo credit: www.returnofthekings.com

You look at your skin color and feel out casted and categorized. “Will I be treated differently?” “Will I be accepted for who I am”? You see reports of young African Americans or Mexicans getting shot for no reason. Being treated poorly just for the fact that they are a different color. The truth is, you are beautiful. Your skin color is what makes you so special this world. It shows that you are a fighter. You are different and that’s what sets you apart from the crowd. You are strong and showcase your heritage. You are good enough.

You are part of the LGBTQ community and feel as if no one understands you. You can’t even use a bathroom without discrimination. You constantly have to “man up” if you go to a straight bar. You are kicked out of bars for the mere fact that you’re holding another man’s hand. People look in disgust if you kiss someone of the same gender. You can’t go to a night club without fear that maybe you won’t come out alive. This is fear now. Yet, you have a whole LGBTQ family behind your back that is waiting to catch you when you fall. You are good enough.

Photo credit: www.thestar.com

You are Muslim and fear that your religion will come with harsh backlash from others. What will others do to me if they know? Will they taunt me? Tell me I should be deported? Will I be deported? For the person I am? For what I believe in? The truth is. You are more courageous than anyone. You’re religion might be what people only see about you, however, you are so much more. You are smart, funny, and have a whole world head of you. You are more than a news report stating why you don’t belong somewhere. You are good enough.

Photo Credit: www.thehumanist.com

You are a woman who constantly feels the need to coat yourself with heavy makeup to feel attractive. You spend countless hours making sure you look “perfect”, when in reality, you already are. You think you’re “fat” when you wear anything over a size 4 and count every calorie you eat. You are only looked as a sex object and a fantasy by men that don’t know what respect is. The leader of the United States wants to “grab you by the p***y” and call you a “nasty woman” if you express yourself. Nasty Women are you with me? If you’re “nasty” be who you are. Be free, be beautiful and be you. You are good enough.

The truth is that we are living in a new time. A time where if you are considered different it’s frowned upon. A time were your family could be threatened to be deported for who they are. A time where if you’re gay that your Vice President wants to tie you up, shock you and “knock it out “ of you.  A time where a “wall” is what’s making America come together. Her Campus is here to let you know that don’t let hate define you. You are more than a wall. You are more than a sexual object. You are you. You are kind, you are smart, and you have every right to be happy. Linda Thompson once said “Our uniqueness, our individuality, and our life experience molds us into fascinating beings. I hope we can embrace that. I pray we may all challenge ourselves to delve into the deepest resources of our hearts to cultivate an atmosphere of understanding, acceptance, tolerance, and compassion. We are all in this life together.” And there is nothing more true. We are all in this life together and its time that we come together. We are good enough.

Photo credit: www.granderie.ca

Brendan Dazen was born June 10th, 1994 in Pittsburgh, Pa. As a child he particapted in such activities as soccer, dance, theater, baseball, and singing. He grew up to love theater and music so much. He even landed a "Best Newcomer" award for Peters Township High School's theater department . He now attends Point Park University for Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management. He wanted to become a member of HerCampus because he wanted to share his thoughts and ideas of pop culture, music, and fashion with his campus, and hopefully other schools. Brendan has a strong interset in Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, sunflowers, fashion, adventutres, photography, concerts, and dance. He hopes in the future to be a production manager.
Casey McGaw

Point Park

Social Media Manager - Her Campus at Point Park Casey McGaw is a second semester senior at Point Park University hoping to pursue a career within sports and social media. Casey is an unashamed Harry Potter enthusiast (#TeamRavenclaw) and enjoys long, romantic walks to the fridge. She hopes to make a positive impact on the world around her through social justice advocacy and good puns. And as a social media professional, she is eager to share her "GIFs" with the world.