WTF? Understanding internet terms and what they truly mean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

“Okay no offense, but she DID THAT?” Um, what? If someone said that in public they would probably get the “you’re crazy” face. However there is a whole language on the internet that well, only people on the internet understand. “WHAT WAS SAID? OVER! IM SHOOK!” Popular social media sites like Twitter and Tumblr are where users use such terms. You can’t log on to Twitter without someone being “cancelled”. 2016 has been the year of popular internet phrases taking over the world. Are we shook? We think yes! 10 years from now society will probably never grasp why we talked on the internet like we did… however it happened. Now it’s time to truly understand what all those internet terms mean. YIKES! Here we go flops!

1. “Drag”

Example: “DRAG THAT B***H TO THE PITS!”

Meaning: Basically you are going to pull the biggest insult you know to offend the person. DRAG. THEM.

2. “I’m Shaking”

Example: “Brendan just looked at me, IM SHAKING.”

Meaning: You’re over excited because your crush might have looked at you for a mere second. He probably just noticed the fries you were holding, but we will act like he was looking at you.

3. “Flop”

Example: “Britney Jean was a FLOP! Glory snatched her!”

Meaning: Basically a flop means that something underperformed.

4. “What was said?”

Example: “OMG WHAT WAS SAID?”

Meaning: Someone can’t believe what was actually tweeted, so their response is “Omg you really said that? But WHAT WAS SAID?”  

5. “CANCELLED”

Example: “Queenie CANCELLED.”

Meaning: Basically you’re just over life and yourself. This one is not too hard to understand.  

6. “OVER!”

Example: “@brittneyBTW is OVER.”

Meaning: You’re done, you have nothing else to live for. You’re over and rotting on twitter.

7. “Rotting”

Example: “I’m currently ROTTING in class.”

Meaning: You are so bored or over something that you are ‘rotting’. It might apply if you look unkempt as well. You know, messy hair, yesterday’s clothes, kind of smelly…you are rotting.

8. “SHE DID THAT!”

Example: “Wow Beyonce came and slayed! She REALLY DID THAT!”

Meaning: Iconic, never the same, legendary.

9. “Did I Ask?”

Example: “That’s cool but did I ask?”

Meaning: Basically when someone tries to get sassy with you and you don’t feel like fighting, just throw out the “did I ask?”

10. “Im Gagged”

Example: “Mike looks so hot. IM GAGGED!”

Meaning: Mike is just really effing hot and you want him.

Now for the most iconic phrase of 2016. It has taken over us all and we love it. Are you shook?

11. “Shook”.

Example: “1-800- Im Shook.”

Meaning: You are so excited, nervous, happy or thrilled about something that you can’t hide your excitement. If that is when Beyoncé dropped Lemonade, when you got on A on your test, or when Kim K dragged Taylor Swift. YOU.WERE. SHOOK.

Photo cred: https://i.ytimg.com

There it is! You now understand the language of the internet a little better. Now don’t drag someone too hard….they will be shook.

Brendan Dazen was born June 10th, 1994 in Pittsburgh, Pa. As a child he particapted in such activities as soccer, dance, theater, baseball, and singing. He grew up to love theater and music so much. He even landed a "Best Newcomer" award for Peters Township High School's theater department . He now attends Point Park University for Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management. He wanted to become a member of HerCampus because he wanted to share his thoughts and ideas of pop culture, music, and fashion with his campus, and hopefully other schools. Brendan has a strong interset in Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, sunflowers, fashion, adventutres, photography, concerts, and dance. He hopes in the future to be a production manager.
Casey McGaw

Point Park

Social Media Manager - Her Campus at Point Park Casey McGaw is a second semester senior at Point Park University hoping to pursue a career within sports and social media. Casey is an unashamed Harry Potter enthusiast (#TeamRavenclaw) and enjoys long, romantic walks to the fridge. She hopes to make a positive impact on the world around her through social justice advocacy and good puns. And as a social media professional, she is eager to share her "GIFs" with the world.