Women Fight Back: Series Part 3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

I’ll Smile When I Receive More Than Cat-Calls, Whistles, and Winks on The Street

The Stop Telling Women To Smile art series by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh continues to address gender based street harassment as the drawn portraits of women, composed with captions that speak directly to offenders, are placed outside in public spaces. I wanted to share a visual incident experienced by a woman who walked around New York City and received a plethora of cat-calling, whistling, and other comments from men of different ethnicities. The Hollaback Campaign videotaped this experience to prove a point that women are harassed on the streets constantly every day and they also displayed what happened when their comments aren’t acknowledged. In some cases, violence may occur, like that of the Chicago mother of 3 was killed; moreover, this harassment and violent responses has to stop but only after everyone is cognizant of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A